Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.
1696 Discussions

Sony Vaio - dual core - crashes with 4gb ram memory - Linux

franconeto
Beginner
Hi all ,

I have a Sony Vaio laptop , with dual core T2330 processor , and GL960/PM965/GM965 intel chipset , using Slamd 64, a 64 bits Linux plataform , before I use 2X 512 MB 667 ddr-2 ram memory , and the system are always ok , then I change it for 2X2GB 667 ddr-2 memory , the system is perfectly all right , while I use less of 2GB, but it crash when I use more this, what can I make now ?????

Why the system work with 4GB installed , if it cannot work fully with this ???

There is some configuration that I must do in my Linux box ???

How can I make a Bios upgrade on my system ???

Thanks a lot

Francisco
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
A BIOS limitation is a reasonable suspicion, but that would be specific to your Sony platform, not something which could be answered here. If you have exhausted the resources in the links posted above the forum, that may be all you can do on this site.
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
Hi franconeto,

I had a similar problem with a Sony Vaio running Opensuse 11. However, as it was not the "official" operating system, I had to troubleshoot it myself.

In my case, I replaced the SO-DIMM memories and I had Opensuse 11 running in 64 bits. However, I cannot tell you that you have the same problem that I had. :(

0 Kudos
rreis
New Contributor I
I think you should check the BIOS first, maybe also run memcheck on it.
0 Kudos
franconeto
Beginner
Quoting - rreis
I think you should check the BIOS first, maybe also run memcheck on it.

Thanks

I use the Memtest86 , and it crash too with 4Gb , but it's full with only 2GB

0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
Quoting - franconeto

Thanks

I use the Memtest86 , and it crash too with 4Gb , but it's full with only 2GB

Perhaps you are using two memories that aren't prepared for dual-channel. You should check the memories and the BIOS. The problem is there. No doubts.
0 Kudos