Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Starting MPI programs over network

Jimmy821
Beginner
Hi,

Can anybody advise me how to start up MPI programs over each node in a network?

I tried to use the -host parameter, but all the programs didn't run, but terminate instantly.

Thanks,
Jimmy
0 Kudos
8 Replies
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - Jimmy82
Hi,

I tried to use the -host parameter, but all the programs didn't run, but terminate instantly.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Hi.

The query which you asked could have many resposes and minimal responses too. I assume you must be a beginer, so my suggestions would be step wise -

(a) Identify which MPI libraries you would need, there are many flavors of MPI libs(OpenMPI, Intel-MPI, MVAPICH, MPICH, HP-MPI, PVM, etc.).Refer it's document, FAQ & links and start with their example programs.

(b) Learn how MPI communicates, learn about mpdboot too.

(c) Try with small node, could be 4, 8, 16, and so on.

(d) Have some Benchmark(e.g, IMB, SPEC-MPI2007, OSU, etc.) to analyze node communications with different message size and scaleability.

(e) Use Intel Trace Analyser & Collector, to know more about MPI's.

HIH.

~BR
0 Kudos
Jimmy821
Beginner
Quoting - srimks
Quoting - Jimmy82
Hi,

Thanks,
Jimmy
Hi.

The query which you asked could have many resposes and minimal responses too. I assume you must be a beginer, so my suggestions would be step wise -

(a) Identify which MPI libraries you would need, there are many flavors of MPI libs(OpenMPI, Intel-MPI, MVAPICH, MPICH, HP-MPI, PVM, etc.).Refer it's document, FAQ & links and start with their example programs.

(b) Learn how MPI communicates, learn about mpdboot too.

(c) Try with small node, could be 4, 8, 16, and so on.

(d) Have some Benchmark(e.g, IMB, SPEC-MPI2007, OSU, etc.) to analyze node communications with different message size and scaleability.

(e) Use Intel Trace Analyser & Collector, to know more about MPI's.

HIH.

~BR

I am using Windows XP and is launching the application on another computer in the network through a configuration file.

An example command line would be
mpiexec -hosts 1 MYCOMNAME 1 test.exe

However, test.exe does not execute. Please advise. Thanks.
0 Kudos
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - Jimmy82

I am using Windows XP and is launching the application on another computer in the network through a configuration file.

An example command line would be
mpiexec -hosts 1 MYCOMNAME 1 test.exe

However, test.exe does not execute. Please advise. Thanks.
Hi.

I haven't tried on Win family of Operating-System as I work on Linux.

But while going through your query, seems that MPDBOOT is not activated on other nodes.

Could you enclose your reply with ERROR messages what you get.

~BR
0 Kudos
Jimmy821
Beginner
Quoting - srimks
Hi.

But while going through your query, seems that MPDBOOT is not activated on other nodes.

~BR

There's no error. The run completes immediately, which is wrong.
0 Kudos
srimks
New Contributor II
Quoting - Jimmy82
Quoting - srimks
Hi.

~BR

There's no error. The run completes immediately, which is wrong.
Try debugging the message for MPI_Send & MPI_Recv for small nodes, maybe you can analyze more.

But there should be some messages, maybe you might be missing.

~BR
0 Kudos
Jimmy821
Beginner
Quoting - Jimmy82
Hi,

Thanks,
Jimmy

I tried to launch on the local computer and remote computer (connected by
-hosts 1 explore-m2 1 -env I_MPI_DEVICE sock -env I_MPI_PIN_PROCESSOR_LIST 0 -l BoostIntel.exe
-hosts 1 explore-h 1 -env I_MPI_DEVICE sock -env I_MPI_PIN_PROCESSOR_LIST 0 -l BoostIntel.exe

The configuration file attempts to start an instance of BoostIntel in both explore-m2 and explore-h. The launch process uses SMPD. However, the program refuse to start.

When I use ony local machines
-hosts 1 explore-m2 1 -env I_MPI_DEVICE sock -env I_MPI_PIN_PROCESSOR_LIST 0 -l BoostIntel.exe, the program works.

Can somebody advise? Thank.

0 Kudos
Jimmy821
Beginner
Quoting - Jimmy82
Hi,

Thanks,
Jimmy

I tried to launch on the local computer and remote computer (connected by
-hosts 1 explore-m2 1 -env I_MPI_DEVICE sock -env I_MPI_PIN_PROCESSOR_LIST 0 -l BoostIntel.exe
-hosts 1 explore-h 1 -env I_MPI_DEVICE sock -env I_MPI_PIN_PROCESSOR_LIST 0 -l BoostIntel.exe

The configuration file attempts to start an instance of BoostIntel in both explore-m2 and explore-h. The launch process uses SMPD. However, the program refuse to start.

When I use ony local machines
-hosts 1 explore-m2 1 -env I_MPI_DEVICE sock -env I_MPI_PIN_PROCESSOR_LIST 0 -l BoostIntel.exe, the program works.

Can somebody advise? Thank.

0 Kudos
Jinwoo_reduck_Park
1. Check host. I think that you must make nodefile.
If machine names are n1 and n2,
write
------
n1
n2
------
in nodefile.

2. run mpdboot
mpdboot --totalnum=2 --file=nodefile

3. check (command : mpdtrace)
4. run mpiexec (mpiexec -np 2 executefile.exe)

I think this method will be able to apply to the windows.
Good luck
0 Kudos