Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.
1696 Discussions

Tool for updating BIOS on many PCs at one time??

tronglenguyencms
Beginner

Hi,

first of all thanks for all who able to help me!

NowI have project that use motherboard Intel D945GCNL. the processing of updating BIOS on this motherboard takes alot of time. i also must update BIOS on each PC one by one. So anyone here can give me some advice or tool to save time for updating BIOS?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Assuming all the PCs have the same motherboard and each to be flashed with the same revision of the BIOS.

Most flash programs permit the specification of the new BIOS data file on the command line thus making the flash program controlable from a Batch file. Therefore

Create an MS-DOSboot diskette (or boot CD) containing the FLASH program plus the new BIOS. Add to the diskette an AUTOEXEC.BAT that runs the FLASH program with the BIOS file and options required to perform the flash. i.e. when this diskette boots it automatically runs a batch program that loads the new BIOS.

Duplicate this diskette or CD as many times as you want to manage multiple updates. e.g. if you have 300 systems but they are place 30 systems per room for 10 roomsthen you might want 30 copies of the boot diskette.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
tronglenguyencms
Beginner

Thanks Jim,

Ithink that using many CDs for updatingBIOS onmany PCs at one timeis not the best way. I asked some motherboard provider for tool and they say that using IC Writer is the best way for updating BIOS.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Boot device includes bootable USB drive provided the PC can boot to a USB device.

IC Writer (unless I misunderstand) will require you to open the PC and extract the BIOS chip from the motherboard (or clip on to it).

If IC Writer has a USB bootable device for reprogramming the BIOS you can make your own using a $9 thumb drive. FD or CD is cheaper. CD ~$0.25.

If it takes 2 minutes to flash a BIOS and if it takes 15 seconds to transport a CD from PC to PC then 8 CDs will keep you busy.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
fakultaberg
Beginner

Web of your motherboard :

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Filter_Results.aspx?strOSs=All&strTypes=All&ProductID=2837〈=eng&OSFullName=All%20Operating%20Systems

Now is BIOS with name:NL94510J.86A.0027.2008.0131.1842

where:

- NL94510J.86A is ID

- 0027 is last version ( 0010, 0014, 0015, 0017, 0020, 0025, 0026 )

- 2008.0131 is date of issue

- 1842 is "firmware number"

For quickly setup BIOS is: NL94510J.86A.0027.EB.EXE ( from website of your motherboard ) . It is upgrade "one click on this file".

PS: sorry for my englisch language, but I can not good write englisch.

gustav

0 Kudos
Beginner

Is there Vista bios going to be soon?

Hi,

first of all thanks for all who able to help me!

NowI have project that use motherboard Intel D945GCNL. the processing of updating BIOS on this motherboard takes alot of time. i also must update BIOS on each PC one by one. So anyone here can give me some advice or tool to save time for updating BIOS?

0 Kudos