Intel® Moderncode for Parallel Architectures
Support for developing parallel programming applications on Intel® Architecture.

Tools for visualizing OPENMP

manu-gupta
Beginner
Hi everyone I am quite new to parallel programming and am currently learning it. I wish to know the various softwares that can help me analyze my performance and also how my parallel code differs from the serial code

PS Can anyone provide me ideas on parallel programming implementations for beginners
______________-
Intel Parallel Studio is meant to provide a practical way to get started with OpenMP parallelization for C and C++.
The more traditional way (on which Parallel Studio builds) is to employ profiling tools such as Intel VTune or PTU to find regions where performance gains are wanted, and apply parallelization by OpenMP or (for distributed memory) MPI.
In the simplest cases, the parallel options of Intel or Sun compilers can apply useful automatic OpenMP parallelization.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tudor
New Contributor I
Quoting - manugupt1
Hi everyone I am quite new to parallel programming and am currently learning it. I wish to know the various softwares that can help me analyze my performance and also how my parallel code differs from the serial code

PS Can anyone provide me ideas on parallel programming implementations for beginners
______________-
Intel Parallel Studio is meant to provide a practical way to get started with OpenMP parallelization for C and C++.
The more traditional way (on which Parallel Studio builds) is to employ profiling tools such as Intel VTune or PTU to find regions where performance gains are wanted, and apply parallelization by OpenMP or (for distributed memory) MPI.
In the simplest cases, the parallel options of Intel or Sun compilers can apply useful automatic OpenMP parallelization.

Some good tools are Intel Thread Checker and Intel VTune Analyzer. Check the internet for details.

As for beginner implementations, you might want to start with some sorting algorithms which are fairly easy to parallelize, such as Mergesort or Quicksort. That way you can get familiar with the divide-and-conquer pattern. Another good set of problems for beginners are the data decomposition problems, such as matrix multiplication.
0 Kudos
manu-gupta
Beginner
Quoting - Tudor

Some good tools are Intel Thread Checker and Intel VTune Analyzer. Check the internet for details.

As for beginner implementations, you might want to start with some sorting algorithms which are fairly easy to parallelize, such as Mergesort or Quicksort. That way you can get familiar with the divide-and-conquer pattern. Another good set of problems for beginners are the data decomposition problems, such as matrix multiplication.

Thanks for the info but these tools provid only a 30 day evaluation period. Can you let me know about some sort of FOSS threading analysis tool or that can be used without paying up
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Quoting - manugupt1

Thanks for the info but these tools provid only a 30 day evaluation period. Can you let me know about some sort of FOSS threading analysis tool or that can be used without paying up
Current gcc/gfortran have good support for OpenMP (and the Intel linux compilers have a free personal use option), but open source parallelization remains a research topic. If you are performing academic work (not selling software), you should be able to use Intel tools academic licensing.
Successful open source MPI implementations include openmpi and MPICH (and variants of the latter).
0 Kudos
manu-gupta
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
Current gcc/gfortran have good support for OpenMP (and the Intel linux compilers have a free personal use option), but open source parallelization remains a research topic. If you are performing academic work (not selling software), you should be able to use Intel tools academic licensing.
Successful open source MPI implementations include openmpi and MPICH (and variants of the latter).

I need the software for academic purposes but they need me to be a teacher or a researcher who will further teach in a few days which I cannot possibly do...

Can you tell me how to get student licences if they are available (maybe I am going around the wrong links )

Thanks for everything
0 Kudos