Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

How does NUC know which monitor to boot from?

Jump to solution

Since I cannot respond to the original conversation (it was closed by a Best Response being selected), I am opening this parallel conversation...

I finally received an answer from the development team. Here is what happens on the NUC8i7HNK/NUC8i7HVK NUCs:

1. BIOS output will be delivered to only the first monitor detected.
  2. The BIOS will detect monitors in this order:
    1. Rear USB-C ports
    2. Rear mini-DP ports
    3. Rear/Front HDMI ports.

What is unclear from their response is,

1. How the ports are ordered (i.e. is it left-to-right across the rear panel or right-to-left)
  2. Whether the Rear HDMI port is scanned ahead of the Front HDMI port.

I have asked for clarification,

...S

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Here is the final answer regarding the order that the BIOS on the NUC8i7HVK NUCs searches for the first monitor.

HVGraphicsPortOrdering1.jpg

HVGraphicsPortOrdering2.jpg

Note that this information is specific to the NUC8i7HVK NUCs and its Radeon RX Vega M GH discrete graphics solution. The ordering will be different for other NUC models, especially those utilizing Intel's integrated HD Graphics solutions.

Many thanks to all of the Intel folks who helped me sort this out.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Hi n.scott.pearson, In reference to your question, we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hi Scott, I had to escalate this question to get answers for what is unclear but we couldn't find any helpful documentation, the answer I got is that this is not documented or it is protected information, in other words I have nothing for you but additional questions: if this information is really required I need to provide the engineering team with a valid reason/justification why this information is need and how is intended to be use by the customer? And by the way, I couldn't find the original question/forum so I have no background information. Note: I am out of the office until next Tuesday, I will follow up on it once I am back. but please let me know how you want to proceed. Regards, Ronny G
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ronny,

I sent you a separate email.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Here is the final answer regarding the order that the BIOS on the NUC8i7HVK NUCs searches for the first monitor.

HVGraphicsPortOrdering1.jpg

HVGraphicsPortOrdering2.jpg

Note that this information is specific to the NUC8i7HVK NUCs and its Radeon RX Vega M GH discrete graphics solution. The ordering will be different for other NUC models, especially those utilizing Intel's integrated HD Graphics solutions.

Many thanks to all of the Intel folks who helped me sort this out.

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos