cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TWood5
Beginner

Hyperthreading on Nuc not fully working

Hello,

I have a NUC7i7BNB, board version J31145-302, BIOS NBKBL357.86A.0063.2018.0413.1542 running Win10 x64 pro.

(I have just now updated all the software as it would never update in the past using the Intel tool. I finally went and updated the BIOS manual to the latest as of today. Then I updated all other drivers via the tool and am 100% updated).

Problem I have is the I only see 4 threads. I should see 4 Cores and 8 threads, should I not? My Mac that is bootcamped sees 8 cpus. Yes, I have Hyperthreading Enabled in the BIOS (Performance, Processor, and Intel Hyperthreading is Checked). I also confirmed that in msconfig | advanced the processor checkbox unclicked.

The only way I found out about this is the new chess program I purchased only sees 4 processors while on my Mac it sees 8.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Tom

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The NUC7i7BN NUC has a Core i7-7567U processor, which has 2 Cores and 4 HyperThreads. Bottom line, you are seeing exactly what you are supposed to be seeing.

...S

TWood5
Beginner

Thank you Scott. I just thought that all i7-xxx processors were 4-core / 8 thread capable. Lesson learned each day,

(I confirmed on Intel site). Even my wife's old laptop that's an i7-2670 something has 4 cores, 8 threads. Guess I should have done more homework on the Nuc's.

Thanks again Scott.

-Tom

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You have to look carefully. Embedded processors (which have 'U' at end of processor number) can have different core and thread counts.

...S