Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

I tried to update the bios for my new Intel® NUC 8 Mainstream-G and it become dead.

I just bought nuc8i7inhjA after starting i notice new bios update i think its good for ventilation process so i download it after it stuck with waiting to shutdown for more than 5 hours after i tried to restart no luck it give only one blink, so i tried bois recovery with removing jumper no success till now, im from middle east i cant even send it to intel, S/N BTIN921001EB, SA K29939-402. Im waiting for rescue mission 😘

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Re: I tried to update the bios for my new Intel® NUC 8 Mainstream-G and it become dead.

1. You should recover BIOS using BIOS Recovery with the BIOS Security Jumper Removed method:
  2. Disconnect the Power Adapter and remove the bottom cover.
  3. Disconnect the CMOS battery connector (item "Q", page 16 in the Technical Product Specification). Wait 15 minutes.
  4. Reconnect the CMOS battery and the Power Adapter.
  5. Power ON your NUC. If it is working now that's nice, however, if still failed, execute Bios Recovery with the yellow security jumper removed:
  6. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file IN0037.CAP. Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows. Important : the USB device must contain a folder \EFI\Intel, which contains the IN0037.CAP file. Otherwise the recovery will fail. ExampleD:\EFI\INTEL\IN0037.CAP
  7. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  8. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 44 in Technical Product Specification )
  9. Insert the USB with the IN0037.CAP file into rear USB slot.
  10. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  11. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
  12. Power your NUC ON.
  13. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  14. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Re: I tried to update the bios for my new Intel® NUC 8 Mainstream-G and it become dead.

Thanks LWAKSMAN,

I followed all you mentioned but with no luck still dead . 😥

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

1. I can see that this failure happened to other users. However, I've successfully updated Bios to version 0037 in my NUC8i7INH, using express method. I agree that such failure shouldn't happened that BIOS update will brick NUC, without possibility for recover.
  2. I suggest that before recovery, try to disconnect the CMOS batter (disconnect the power adapter first). Reconnect it after 15 minutes.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

still like stone nothing works 😥 .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I tried disconnecting the CMOS battery and waiting for over 30 minutes before attempting all possible recovery methods, but nothing works. It’s a complete brick and will be replaced today.

Like you, I used the express update method and my NUC is now bricked beyond recovery. Is it possible that there are slight hardware differences between our units that could have bearing on this? – My exact variant is NUC8i7INHPA2, version K47348-403 (although I see that the OP has version K29939-402, which is different than mine – meaning that more than one version is apparently affected by this).

The intermittent nature of this issue genuinely scares me, and I will refrain from updating the BIOS on my replacement unit until such time that this issue is officially acknowledged and its root cause is identified and corrected. You see, trying to update the BIOS is the only thing I did with the completer after having received it, which is quite lucky – I would’ve felt very uncomfortable with replacing a computer that contains a hard drive full with personal material.

Intel, please react.

@AndrewG_Intel​ 

Highlighted
Novice

@NAlsh1​ 

You should by all means try to RMA your unit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

My NUC8i7INHPA1 SA#: K47348-402 Date of Manufacture: 05/2019 The BIOS 0037 successfully installed.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks, Leon.

I am now in possession of a new (replacement) unit, bearing the same SKU (NUC8i7INHPA2, K47348-403). Date of manufacture is August 3, 2019. This is slightly different than yours. Still, this whole situation is odd as hell. I don't have the guts to attempt updating the BIOS again. I will rather wait for an official response from Intel. It is clear to me that this is not an isolated issue – bricking NUCs beyond recovery – and should be officially acknowledged and addressed.

Highlighted

Hello NAlsh1,

Are you still experiencing this issue?

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi WannerG_

you ask me ( Are you still experiencing this issue? )

of course Iam, and what king of assistant do you offer after one week

i dont know what i have to do with this pc .

and note i am own 2 nuc5ppyh,2 nuc7i7dnke,1 nuc7i7bnkq and 1 nuc10i7fnk

for my family

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Sir. it's not just the OP.

I, too, have experienced the issue, and although the bricked NUC has been replaced (I now have a working one), it is not OK that I cannot update my BIOS with confidence – that is, out of fear of breaking this working unit, too.

The newer BIOS versions contain security fixes and I should be able to deploy said versions without fear of bricking the machine. This clearly is not an isolated issue. Please get to the bottom of this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Leon,

May I ask what version you were upgrading your BIOS from? Was that a later version than the initial one?

You see, my NUC came with version 0028, which is the initial production release. Attempting to upgrade from this version to version 0037 resulted in a computer that is bricked beyond recovery. Could this issue have anything to do with this particular upgrade path?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Contributor III

Hi Pavel,

The previous BIOS version on my NUC was version 0036.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello all,

We are looking into this issue.

NAlsh1,

Besides the BIOS recovery by Security Jumper, have you tried other other methods to update the BIOS?

PavelPr,

Besides the Express BIOS update, have you tried other other methods to update the BIOS?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Wanner,

Thanks for getting back to us!

No, the express method is the only one I tried, which then bricked the machine beyond recovery. I was trying to update from version 0028 to version 0037.

I should also mention that I tried every recovery method possible (Power Button Menu, Securty Jumper), without success. I also tried disconnecting the CMOS battery for extended periods of time before attempting each. To no avail, though – each time, both LEDs would blink for a moment and then the machine would go back off. My exact model number is NUC8i7INHPA2.

I now have a replacement unit and I don't dare to try and update its BIOS out of fear that it would get bricked, too.

Please also note that other people were able to successfully update the BIOS using the express method. For example, @LWAKSMAN​ did not experience issues, however he was going from version 0036 to 0037 – while I was trying to update from the initial BIOS release (0028) that came with the machine straight to version 0037. I don't know whether this fact has any bearing on this issue, though.

Thank you and please keep us posed,

Pavel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

What storage are you using in your system? Is it what came with the unit or your own? Have you tried the F7 Flash update process? This uses a CAP file run from a USB flash drive instead of the EBU from Windows.

I flashed (2) IN NUCs (i5 & i7) and didn't have any issues. I used EBU file from Windows on the i5 (from BIOS 0036) and the CAP file from a USB flash drive on the i7 (from BIOS 0035). Make sure you don't have any major changes in the BIOS settings. Load F9 BIOS Default settings before trying to flash. Maybe even reset your Secure Boot key. I have heard of them getting corrupted in the past.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi,

Thanks for your input!

I used the EBU file (express method) to flash my i7 NUC (NUC8i7INHPA2), which resulted in a brick. Neither the hardware nor the BIOS settings were modified in any way; in fact, the BIOS update is the first (and only) thing I did after the machine was delivered to me. The only difference I can see between our scenarios is that you were upgrading from version 0036, while I was trying to upgrade from the initial BIOS release version 0028, which came with the machine. This is also consistent with another person in this thread, who successfully updated their BIOS from version 0036 to 0037, using the express method.

Hopefully Intel will be able to identify the root cause of this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello PavelPr,

Thank you for providing more information about the BIOS update methods.

We are looking into this issue, but we have not experienced this issue where we are not able to update from initial BIOS release to a higher version.

Our recommendation is that you try other methods such as the F7 BIOS update to update BIOS, and then let us know if the issue persists.

BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions for Intel® NUC

BIOS update 0036

BIOS update 0037 (Latest)

Wanner G.

0 Kudos