Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SPenn5
Beginner

Intel NUC7i3BN failing BIOS update 0072 via Intel Driver & Support Assistant

We have several of these NUCs all with Intel i3-7100u processors. All running Windows 10. They all fail updating to the latest bios 0072 via the Intel Driver & Support Assistant. Since we mostly troubleshoot these computers remotely, it's slightly inconvenient when doing routine updates as the only way I've been able to do it is by flashing the bios via USB on my own office NUC of the same specs.

When trying to do it by the update assistant, the tool says it needs to update & restart the computer etc, which is does proceed to do, but upon rebooting and opening Intel Driver & Support Assistant, it prompts again that the same bios is available to be installed..

Is there an available fix or workaround for this that isn't having to visit each site with the and flash the bios via USB?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Forget IDSA for the moment. Try downloading the EBU executable and manually initiate it yourself on the remote machine.

Hope this helps,

...S

SPenn5
Beginner

I'm not aware of what an EBU executable is and where it's available for download, any insight?

Edit: don't worry, derp moment. Express Bios Update..

Thanks,

Sam

SPenn5
Beginner

No luck manually initiating EBU manually. Same issue - just says it's restarting to install the bios but the PC really just reboots without installing any bios.

n_scott_pearson

I am not sure what is going on; it is working for me. I can remote update.

In the past, when I have seen BIOS update fail like this, it is because the BIOS had a problem initializing memory. Are you seeing this issue with one system or multiple systems?

...S

SPenn5
Beginner

Multiple - have tried on about 7 different NUCs all with the same specs.

n_scott_pearson

How exactly are you doing this? I am using Remote Desktop. I can start the BIOS update (which results in my session being closed as the reboot occurs). Reconnecting a few minutes later I can see through Sys. Info. App that the BIOS has been successfully updated.

...S

SPenn5
Beginner

Connecting remotely to every PC via TeamViewer, trying to execute the BIOS update through either manually running the EBU or running Intel Driver & Support assistant.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @SPenn5​ 

It was reported in this forum that after Regional settings in Windows was changed to English (US) , the update with .msi file was possible.

An other possible workaround is to download the BNKBL357.86A.0072.EB.msi file and unpack this archive using 7zip. After unpacking the MSI archive, run the exe-installer which is inside the msi-file.

Leon

SPenn5
Beginner

Hi @LWAKSMAN​ 

The region change didn't work. No success with unpacking the archive on 7Zip either..

n_scott_pearson

Sorry I took so long to reply, I had to do some finagling to get TeamViewer set up and running. I can (now) attest that logging on remotely using TeamViewer and running the .MSI file to install a BIOS update works just fine. Of course, I am installed and running using English (US) as my default and I am not running the NUC headless.

Hope this helps,

...S

SPenn5
Beginner

Hmm interesting that is works fine for you but not on the several NUCs i've tried.

Guess i'll keep investigating.

Thanks

SPenn5
Beginner

Still completely stumped by this. Can anyone from Intel advise?

AlHill
Super User

Is it possible that you have secure boot enabled?

If so, disable secure boot and try again.

Doc

SPenn5
Beginner

Hi Doc

Secure boot is not enabled

Thanks,

Sam

n_scott_pearson

In case it wasn't obvious, Al is suggesting this as a data point. If this fixes it, it is still a BIOS bug to be addressed...

...S

SPenn5
Beginner

Not sure I'm following but thanks..