Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
troygerkin
Novice

Intel NUC8i5BEH Graphics Issue

NUC unit currently uses 27.20.100.9316 as driver (via Windows update). I have been facing screen flickering issues like this,

Link to video clip of flickering issue 1

Link to video clip of flickering issue 2 

This is one of the errors I spotted under Reliability History,

Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
?04-?04-?2021 05:24

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:	LiveKernelEvent
Code:	144
Parameter 1:	3003
Parameter 2:	ffffb8061ab57640
Parameter 3:	40010000
Parameter 4:	0
OS version:	10_0_17763
Service Pack:	0_0
Product:	289_3
OS Version:	10.0.17763.2.0.0.289.50
Locale ID:	16393

I have already uninstalled/reinstalled, rolled_back driver from 9316 to 8681 and yet I still have intermittent hiccups. I’ve throughly followed this troubleshooting guide for flickering screens as well (BIOS/HDMI_firmware update, swapped cable, swapped monitor etc).

Could someone confirm, perhaps from community or a hardware device engineer if this is a known driver issue with Intel NUC8i5BEH?

From Intel’s support site, the last graphics driver update is revision 8681 (Oct’20), while Microsoft’s Update automatically installs driver revision 9316. While the release notes of 9316 does suggest it fixes flickering/stability issues over previous releases, is there any driver update in-transit for NUC8i5BEH?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Try a better quality HDMI cable.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

troygerkin
Novice

I’ve already swapped out cables (and monitor as well). Unless there’s a particular HDMI cable I should be using? I never had any display issues with  another test unit, using same HDMI cable that was shipped with monitor (NUC6).

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

At POST, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup. Does the flickering occur there? If so, then this is definitely a hardware issue. If not (i.e. problem isolated to only Windows environment), then this is a software issue. If a software issue, I would be looking at the Graphics driver.

If there is a hardware issue and you have tried multiple cables and multiple monitors without resolving it, then fault is in NUC. In this case, after verifying that your warranty is still active (here: Determine if Your Product Is Still Under Warranty), you need to directly contact Intel Customer Support to initiate the RMA process (you cannot do this through the forums). Here are pages where you can lookup contact information, including local/country phone numbers, by geography:

You can use the online forms service or email, but I actually recommend calling them directly. The above links provide local or toll-free numbers in most countries and support most local languages. You could also use the chat service (start here: Intel Customer Support Chat), but understand that this service is offered in English only and is subject to the normal (9:00-5:00 M-F) office hours in the Pacific (UTC-8) time zone.

Hope this helps,

...S

troygerkin
Novice

I already got a brand new NUC from place of purchase, after the first NUC’s NIC died within first two weeks of initial purchase. With that said, no, the display doesn’t flicker when using Visual BIOS interface. This flickering event happen at random moments: sometimes its frequency is as low as once a week, and sometimes it would happen as high as once a day. There’s not fixed time or trigger to this event ... it just happens.

About drivers: I’ve already mentioned in my first post how I rolled back to DCH driver 27.20.100.8681 after Windows Update forcibly upgraded it to 27.20.100.9316; I’m not sure if Intel’s driver support team is aware about Microsoft pushing such a bad driver update (since Intel’s support site states that 27.20.100.8681 is the latest DCH for NUC8i5BEH using Iris 655 iGPU). So issue of graphics driver is out of question. 

With that said, how would HDMI cable affect flickering display? I keep on reading this recommendation both in Intel’s troubleshooting guide  as well as various threads on Intel Community Forums and Reddit. During one of my encounters with flickering screen, I unplugged HDMI cable, turned off monitor, replugged cable and turned on that monitor again, only to come across that flickering display at the very instant that monitor was turned on. I also tried RDP’ing into this machine thrice during such an encounter - I was able to RDP once (out of three attempts on separate occasions) into this machine to a different user account than the one which was running locally on machine while that monitor was connected. But the failure to RDP into machine the remainder two times makes me infer if there’s something wrong with memory, that’s also shared with iGPU and/or iGPU perhaps having some kind of hardware issues?

I really want to evaluate this device at home, before sending this for RMA (again) and being stuck with logistical issues considering the recent uptick in covid cases and the ensuing delay in getting evaluation/repairs/replacement processed with the added limitation of shipping this NUC back to Intel’s regional service center.

n_scott_pearson

First of all, please describe exactly what you mean by 'flickering'. Flickering is a rapid transition from light to dark and dark to light that happens multiple times per second.

I have a feeling what you are referring to is the monitor at random times disconnecting for a second or so and then the connection is restored. This phenomenon is the result of a poor connection and typically addressed by getting a better quality cable.

...S

troygerkin
Novice

I think I already posted links to video capture of flickering/unusual behavior in my first post. Nonetheless,

Link to video clip of flickering issue 1 

Link to video clip of flickering issue 2 

n_scott_pearson

Ok, that's real flickering. And you say that you do not see this when you enter BIOS Setup. From this, three possibilities come to mind, (1) Bad Memory, (2) Bad monitor or (3) Bad Graphics Driver load.

...S

troygerkin
Novice

Okay, so this is what I’ve done (or doing so far),

(1) bad memory: ran Mem86 test for 6 hours - clean

(2) bad monitor: got a new hdmi cable (and yet it still exhibits flickering behavior)

(3) bad graphics: upgraded/rolled_back DCH drivers for this given nuc. I also uninstalled/reinstalled drivers just to rule out any residual issues

— —

On a side-note, I’ve run system file repair sfc /scannow as well as also ran restorehealth option using Microsoft’s Deplyment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) utility. The reasoning - first NUC failed due to bad NIC within first two weeks of purchase and so the retailer shipped out a brand new NUC as replacement; I simply swapped out my old SSD and memory from that two week old NUC into my new NUC (the current NUC which is exhibiting this flickering behavior). I thought I would better restore/repair any system files and/or device kernel files (if any) having hardware resolution issues with new NUC. Again, this is my hypothetical explanation - I’m not even sure if this is technically true/valid reasoning behind my intent to run sfc and dsim to fix OS issues that might be intervening performance of NUC before narrowing it down to hardware issues.

n_scott_pearson

First of all, the driver listed on a particular NUC's download page is just the latest version that has been formally validated on this NUC. Subsequent driver releases will usually work just fine, so don't be afraid to try them. You shouldn't be seeing the driver updated via Windows Update (WU) but it is possible that updates will be released and made available via IDSA.

Secondly, when I said Bad Monitor, I didn't mean going to a new HDMI cable (though that's a good thing to try too); I was referring to testing with a different monitor completely. Everyone has TVs in their home that have HDMI (or VGA) inputs that can temporarily be connected to the NUC. Give one of those a try. 

Hope this helps,

...S

troygerkin
Novice

Tried with spare TV on an extended 18 hour test - and yes the error was reproduceable. There is one another user who has faced string of failures with their line of NUCs as well. Having worked on dozens of RMAs, they seem to have narrowed their focus towards RAM module incompatibility and/or performance issues when paired with NUC.

I've turned my attention towards RAM modules. Although there's no question about it - not the cables and display. Tested with NUC7 during this weekend and both the cable as well as monitor's display profiles work well when run under gpu stress tests. More update soon if I find anything new.

With that said, I'm appalled by possibility of having to return this unit under RMA, should I find need to seek help via customer support. NUC7 has been running 24x7 for last 3 years without any issues, while I would end up returning NUC8 twice within first six months of device ownership.
AndrewG_Intel

Hello troygerkin

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

AndrewG_Intel

Hello troygerkin

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician