Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LoneWolf
Novice

Intel NUCs - Made by Elitegroup?

I was doing an IP scan of my network, and found that the MAC address of my NUC8i5BEH does not indicate Intel.

Instead, it shows Elitegroup Computer Systems Co., Inc. I find this concerning, because after decades of building computers and working in IT, I have found Elitegroup/ECS products to be far inferior in quality control to products that were actually manufactured by Intel. It's a reason I don't purchase ECS products (including the less expensive competing ECS Liva, in the same product family as the NUC); I've worked with too many of them. At best, they've been quirky; at worst, the defect rate was higher than average.

It's interesting that the MAC address isn't even associated with Intel's MAC group, but I have to ask: Are Intel NUCs even manufactured by Intel? As neat as the product itself is (I've been looking forward to having one ever since the first generation, but waited until the hardware matched my needs), this will definitely color my future purchases, as there are similar products from other vendors, and if the product isn't built by Intel themselves, I'm not sure why I'd choose it.

It's kind of like buying a Honda automobile, and then finding they outsourced production to Chrysler; it's a bit disappointing.

5 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello LoneWolf Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. • Please share with us a picture of the IP scan that is reporting the information above. • Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
LoneWolf
Novice

@LeoC_Intel​ 

Here is a picture of the IP scan. Note that I have also used at least one web-based MAC identification program and confirmed the same thing. I have blurred relevant parts for privacy. I also confirmed this was the appropriate IP and MAC address of the NUC both via Remote Desktop, then using the IP address with an arp -a command.

nmapblur.png

Next, the text file. Note that the wired NIC shows the MAC address that matches my IP scanning program.

Finally, let me add the notes of one of several mac address databases online on the web, circling the equivalent MAC group identified as EliteGroup/ECS. This is not the only online lookup I used to identify the MAC address as an Elitegroup/ECS MAC address; I cross-checked with others as well, including https://macvendors.com/ and https://macaddress.io .

macproof.png

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

@LoneWolf​ 

I followed the same steps as you have and my results are different, but nonetheless interesting in comparison.

MAC.jpg

Pegatron Corporation is a Taiwanese electronics manufacturing company that develops mainly computing, communications and consumer electronics to branded vendors, but also engages in the development, design and manufacturing of computer peripherals and components.

I don't think Intel makes its own hardware or components, at least for the NUC8i7HVK and yours.

What I find interesting is that our two tests reveal two different companies.

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

Board Model: NUC8i7HVB

Board Version: J68196-502

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello all Thank you for the information, Let me look into this findings, we will be posting back when news becomes available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation