Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DWatson
Novice

Latest Intel Graphics driver refuses to install on Intel NUC 6i7KYK

dch_igcc_win64_26.20.100.6709 downladed form support.intel.com vs Intel NUC 6i7KYK; it comes up with an error message about "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer."

Seriously? Why even post graphics drivers if they can't be installed, even on Intel machines?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Seriously, that driver installed without issue on my skull canyon, WITHOUT ISSUE.

What OS version and build are you running?

Did you uninstall ALL PREVIOUS graphics drivers? If not, follow my procedure here:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004Fm2ngSAB/how-to-install-the-dch-driver?language=en_US

Doc

DWatson
Novice

The NUC is running Windows 10 Pro 1809 x64 general release with all current Windows Updates. Installed graphics driver is the DCH v25.20.100.6519 driver from the NUC6i7KYK support drivers and downloads path. (Is a driver from that path somehow different from a driver from the Graphics path?) I've never had to uninstall a graphics driver from the NUC before, in order to get a new graphics driver to install. Even to go from the legacy to the DCH driver.

AlHill
Super User

First, download and save the current DCH driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28731/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?v=t

Then, try my procedure, unplugged from the net, and deleting all drivers until you get to "Microsoft Basic DIsplay adapter".

Then, install the driver saved in the link above.

Also, if you are running an anti-virus product other than Windows Defender, disable real-time protection before you install the latest DCH driver.

Doc

DWatson
Novice

No AV besides Windows Defender. By reverting to the "Microsoft Basic Display adapter", I got the v. 26 driver installed. But I had to revert to the v. 25 driver after two cases of the machine hanging, with the fan running fast. In neither case was I using the machine, so maybe it was trying to sleep when things went awry? Dunno, but I haven't ever had to force power down the NUC6i7KYK twice in an hour before installing the v 26 driver. We'll see if reverting returns stability. Device drivers are the scourge of Windows... (In so many different ways.)

AlHill
Super User

As I said, I am having no issues. One last thing - Is your bios updated?

Doc

DWatson
Novice

Odd indeed. BIOS is current. Installed 61 in place of 60 several days ago.

AlHill
Super User

Well, we did make progress. Initially, you could not install, and we did get 6709 installed. And, you will notice that your processor is in the list of supported processors for 6709.

So, something is definitely wrong with your setup.

What software packages do you have installed?

Have you run any registry cleaners?

And, I know it is a pain, but have you tried a clean install of W10 1809?

Download, run, and attach the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then, an Intel support engineer can assist you.

Doc

DWatson
Novice

(Not sure where my original reply went? Maybe big attachment == moderator? Or longer to post?)

Short answer is no registry cleaners or any of that kind of garbage. Nothing terribly esoteric in software installed except for, maybe, Visual Studio 2017/2019 and all the prerequisites it drags in.

(Short list: Office 365, Visio 2016, Adobe Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements, Microsoft Money, iTunes, Samsung NVME driver, Epson scanner driver, HP AIO driver, some Sony camera utilities, 7-Zip, Google Drive, Amazon Drive, iCloud, Java, VLC, Veeam Agent for Windows, Kindle, SFTP NetDrive, Visual Studio 2017/2019 and all the prerequisites it drags in. Some lesser stuff.)

No, I haven't tried reinstalling Windows 10. A back level graphics driver, causing no conformed and traceable issues, is whole lot less of a pain than all the damage reinstalling Windows causes. It'll getting whacked on its own, by 1903, in the next 45 days or so, likely enough. SSU dump was attached. Will attach again if I can get this to post.

DWatson
Novice

SSU dump attached to this pot.

AlHill
Super User

Thanks for the SSU file.

Also, I see all of your posts, including your first post.

Ok, what is the possibility of you using a spare boot SSD, without all of the installed apps? I know 1903 is coming, but we have a chance now to see if the base 1809 install, with updates, runs ok. If it does, maybe we can narrow it down to one of your apps. First, however, we need to see if 1809 runs with the DCH driver. I suspect it will.

If unable to do this now, were you planning on a clean install of 1903? If so, maybe test between each app install to see what may be causing the issue.

I know this is a pain. On my main machine, if I do similar testing between apps, it can take me eight hours for this "clean install". But, it leaves me knowing where I stand with the hardware and software.

This could be a good debugging exercise to troubleshoot this problem.

Doc

P.S. Bravo on NOT using registry cleaners!

DWatson
Novice

There was another reply, I thought, with software inventory and the SSU dump. It must have fallen in a bitbucket somewhere.

I don't have a spare SSD lying about.

1809 seems to be back working/has worked with two separate v25.xxx variants of the DCH drivers. Just the v26...6709 is, apparently, having bad voojoo.

No, I wasn't planning on a clean install of 1903. Debugging Intel graphics driver compatibility is not much of a hobby for me. If 1903 Windows Update goes smoothly with the 25...6519 driver, then I'll surely revisit the then latest v26, or later, driver.

For now, I'd be glad to revisit the v26...6709 hang issue if there is any diagnostic data I can collect or whatever focused case I can do. (Who knows, it may have been just two exactly similar one-offs in a row?) But I'm not terribly interested in just going on a random walk playing app and OS whack-a-mole in hopes of finding a combination of stuff that is safe for the v26...6709 driver, even if it otherwise breaks everything else I use and have installed and setup.

AlHill
Super User

Ok, let's see what the Intel support engineers say. Also, maybe another forum member can provide some input from their Skull Canyon.

I have to say that I like my Skull Canyon and software/driver-wise, it has been no problem. The only problem I did have was a bad fan (which Intel corrected quickly for me). Admittedly, I do not have the suite of apps you have, so that is why I was looking at the debug possibly.

I have been very happy with the DCH drivers. And, in my opinion, they have been needed for a very long time.

Doc

DWatson
Novice

I really like my NUC as well. With this exception, it's generally been very stable. (Oh, another exception: DisplayPort has never worked right with my Dell U2410 monitor. Once it puts the monitor to sleep, only cycling power will wake the monitor back up. Otherwise it just sits there sleeping/waking/sleeping/waking an about two second centers. HDMI works fine with the same monitor.)

The only reason I keep trying updated graphics drivers is very occasional screen blanking/flicker. Agreed, the DCH drivers were LONG overdue. (But, as Windows device driver go, it'll be a decade before legacy drivers are really mostly gone.)

I forced, via the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter rouse, the 26...6709 drivers on to my Skylake Dell XPS 13. (It, too, whined about "not validated".) They seem to be working fine and, in limited use, I've seen no odd display artifacts; the Dell "supported" v23 driver seemed more likely to have occasional issues. But time will tell for sure.

I will probably revisit the v26 driver tomorrow when after the v25 is demonstrated stable again. I'd like to see if this hang is really repeatable and to see it hang instead of just coming back to it and finding it hung.

SChau10
New Contributor II

My NUC6i7KYK has suffered several mysterious hard hangs recently. The power light would be on, but no display (monitor got no video signal over DisplayPort so went to sleep), no disk activity, no mouse red light and keyboard caps lock, num lock & scroll lock LEDs didn't toggle). This NUC is in a 3rd-party fanless chassis (Akasa Galactico) so cannot tell if fan behavior changed. These hangs all occurred some time after the system was left unattended for a few hours.

The most recent changes made to this NUC were: update Intel graphics driver from 25.20.100.6618 to 26.20.100.6709, update Win10 OS from 1809 to 1903 (from MSDN ISO) and plug wired USB keyboard & mouse through a USB 2.0 hub (Unitek).

After rolling Intel graphics driver back to 25.20.100.6618, I did a quick system sleep test for ~20 minutes, and system woke from sleep normally. Without further troubleshooting, I would guess the 26.20.100.6709 graphics driver as being the prime suspect for the lockups.

DWatson
Novice

Sounds exactly like the same problem... I've also tried getting into mine via RDP when it's in this state. It's not on the network... Intel may have a problem here.

DWatson
Novice

FWIW, probably nothing, I also have keyboard and mouse attached through an external USB hub.

MLux0
Beginner

I have tried to use the latest driver by the NUC and it worked without any issues. Try it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28602/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU... which is version 6519.

😁

DWatson
Novice

Agreed, the v25...6519 driver from the NUC drivers and downloads path works; not clear if the occasional flicker/blank screen I see is from driver or ???. That v25xxx driver is what I reverted to when I ran into issues with the v26...6709 driver from the Graphics Drivers downloads path.

Whether drivers for the Skylake/Iris Pro 580 from the Graphics Drivers path are somehow different from drivers for the Iris Pro 580 in the Skylake/NUC6i7KYK is something only Intel knows. Whether there's a technical reason, or a website, driver configuration management, or content management design reason, that the NUC6i7KYK support path offers different "current" drivers than are offered for the Skylake/Iris Pro 580 from the Graphics Drivers path, is also something only Intel knows.

JRayn3
New Contributor II

OK, Doc, at the risk of hijacking this thread (but you did bring up the subject) why do you recommend not using a registry cleaner? I use that particular sub-utility within CCleaner on my NUC5i5RYH and it just seems to find bits and pieces left over from uninstalling software. It seems pretty innocuous to me but then I acknowledge I have much to learn.

AlHill
Super User

There are plenty of other forums to debate the use of registry cleaners.

THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

Doc