Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12538 Discussions

NUC 11 Pro Dual LAN Question

brasoveanul
Beginner

Hello,

I have been able to buy one of the very few available units of NUC 11 Pro Dual LAN, model BNUC11TNHV70L00 . Everything seems to be fine, but I have a curiosity. Thus, when the unit is placed on my desk, there is a very faint vibration/buzz, I don't know how to precisely describe it, you can hear it, in fact, if you place your ear right next to the unit, or very close to it, anyway. If I lift it just a little bit by his front side, so that the two rubber screws do not touch the desk, I simply cannot hear this faint sound. Also, no sound/vibration can be heard if I place some material, like a protective foam under the unit. This makes me believe that the fan or the unit are fine, it is just a matter of how it interacts with the surface it is placed on. Is it normal, should I be concerned about it in any way? In any case, even if it was not normal, I wouldn't have any chance of getting another similar unit, it is almost a miracle that I was able to find this one, it was just one unit at one of the European retailers, which ordered it from their supplier.

Additionally, just as a remark, there is not much energy put into perfectly placing the connectors on the motherboard these days, as an example, in the attached picture, the serial port is not perfectly aligned to the edge of the motherboard, but I noticed this is a general issue, there are Intel NUC boards that have more serious port and header alignment issues than this one.

Thank you in advance for any opinion concerning the slight vibration noise that I hear.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello brasoveanul,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on the steps you have performed already, and as you mentioned, the sound is probably caused by the interaction between the unit and the desk, but just to make sure, could you please provide a video or audio of the sound if possible?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

brasoveanul
Beginner

Hello,

I attached two short clips, the one ending in 2413 records the fan at high RPM, after some Cinebench R23, the one ending in 2459 records the fan at decreasing/lower RPM. I advise that you use VLC with volume around 200% or some headphones to more accurately hear the sound.

Steven_Intel

Thank you for the information.

We are currently working on this concern. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Please feel free to reply if you have any concerns.

Best regards,

Steven G.

brasoveanul
Beginner

OK. Please let me know if you need anything else from my part.

Steven_Intel

Hello brasoveanul,

It is normal to see the fan increasing its performance while running benchmark or stressing the NUC. After reviewing the videos, the sound and vibration are normal. 

Just in case, I recommend you to check the BIOS fan settings and as well make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed. You can download it here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19699/bios-update-tntglv57.html

Please let me know if you have any concerns.

Regards,

Steven G.

brasoveanul
Beginner

Hello,

Other than this concern, I can say that the unit is working fine, at the moment, fortunately. I shall be monitoring it attentively and will report any issues, I hope it will not be the case. Any way, it is disconcerting to see how serious is the lack of quality control these days, in general, in the so called high technology industry.

Steven_Intel

Thank you for your response.

We're glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. Please let us know if you encounter any issue with the NUC.

Since the thread is now solved, we will close it. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Regards,

Steven G.