Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12303 Discussions

NUC11PHKi7C has the Intel Skull with red flashing eyes, BIOS now supports animated GIF logos?

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Hi

I notice the BIOS https://downloadmirror.intel.com/685050/PH0065.cap has an animated Intel gaming skull (red flashing eyes), ive pulled the file and its a standard GIF format with full frames at 20ms swap times

iCHLogo.zip (https://downloadmirror.intel.com/646815/iCHLogo.zip) makes no mentioned of support of GIF files, we have tried it and although we can get an animated GIF in to the BIOS (NUC11PHKi7C), we cant get the timing right (as the animation starts while the screen is still black during POST), also with ours while Windows boots its also black, so are there any guidelines to this?

We assumed as Windows boots it would show the first frame, it doesnt appear to do this, in ours it was either the second frame (ours was black) or something is broken...

Any pointers

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

GRIFFCOMM, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your questions, we will do further research on this matter, for us to be able to do that, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new Intel® NUC?

What is the BIOS version currently installed in the Intel® NUC?

When did you purchase it?

Did the GIF file ever work fine before on this same machine?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Is this a new Intel® NUC? Yes

What is the BIOS version currently installed in the Intel® NUC? PHTGL579.0065.2021.1014.1705

When did you purchase it? 22 Nov 2021 (ish) [we are a reseller]

Did the GIF file ever work fine before on this same machine? No, the Intel one did, we tried to upload a GIF file and it starts to play with odd results but appears to be stable and repeat issues on play back

When did the issue start? When we uploaded the GIF as its never worked correctly, since we have uploaded a static BMP image

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this issue? Uploaded GIF via firmware

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment? Both, the unit has no idea what environment its in.

Alberto_R_Intel

GRIFFCOMM, Thank you very much for providing that information.

We will now do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi GRIFFCOMM,

I just got confirmation from the Engineering Team that .gif images are not officially supported by our current iCHLogo tool, with that in mind, we can't share any guidelines around logo customization using .gif files.

Regards,

Ronny G

GRIFFCOMM
New Contributor I

Let it be noted you (Intel) are using GIF animated logo and the tool des export it successfully (i have a copy of it here) and it appears each frame is double and set to 20ms update time.  I assume you will support GIF as you are using it yourself in your own BIOS images?

Alberto_R_Intel

GRIFFCOMM, Thank you very much for your response.

Yes, you will be able to download, explore, modified and use .gif images, but there is no support nor documentation about this scenario since the .gif images are not officially supported by our current iCHLogo tool.

Regards,

Albert R.