Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RvdH
Novice

NUC6CAY(S/H) Celeron j3455 Processor Flaw

I have read that the Celeron J3455 Processor has a serious flaw that can make these units to stop working and a new F1 stepping named Celeron J3455E is being released for it.

Summary of Changes from B-1 to F-1 Stepping:

Intel identified an issue with the Low Pin Count (LPC), Real Time Clock (RTC), SD Card interfaces on Intel®

Celeron® N3350, J3355, J3455 processors and Intel® Pentium® N4200 processor resulting in degradation of these

signals at a rate higher than Intel's quality goals after multiple years in service.

For a comprehensive list of changes, refer to these documents:

• Intel Apollo Lake / Apollo Lake - I Dashboard - Lite (RDC# 573991)

• Intel Pentium® Processor N4200 and Celeron® Processors J3355, J3455 & N3350 Specification update

Addendum - NDA (RDC# 601134)

As a owner of, both a NUC6CAYH and a NUC6CAYS i would like to know what are the consequences for me as end-users, can i apply for replacement units as it seem Intel has being selling units that have higher degradation/fault rates than meets Intel's own quality goals after (multiple) year(s) in service?

NUC6CAYS (Manufacture date 05/2019)

NUC6CAYH (Manufacture date 12/2017)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/products-and-solutions/processors-and-chipsets/apollo...

0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Intel's limited warranty states that any product that fails with the product's warranty period will be replaced. The standard (international) warranty for the NUC products is 3 years from date of purchase.

...S

RvdH
Novice

This is the expected answer, but I am not talking about limited warranty.

Intel found a serious problem in the Celeron j3455 design, one so bad it doesn't meet their own quality standards so in my opinion limited warranty doesn't apply on a badly designed/produced system.

Intel seems to keep screwing up their processor designs, first the Atom debacle, all the Spectre, Meltdown and other speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities and now this... very disappointing

n_scott_pearson

If you look at the follow-up articles appearing today, you will see that, when Intel was talking about a degraded lifetime, they were using an almost-ridiculous 15-year lifetime criteria. That's actually far beyond the MTBF for even the solder used on the boards.

...S

RvdH
Novice

The almost-ridiculous 15-year lifetime criteria, are Intel's own criteria...not mine!

What i basically ask if there is some coulance settlement in case a unit dies on me outside the limited warranty period, knowing the product Intel sold me is flawed by design, not meeting what you call, the almost-ridiculous 15-year lifetime criteria

n_scott_pearson

Well, that's a question for Intel to answer. My opinion is no. Intel warrants operation for a certain timeframe. They do not guarantee that it will operate beyond that. They do not guarantee that your processor will not have errata ("flaws" or otherwise) beyond that known at the time of purchase. If that errata affects its operation during the warranted timeframe, then they will replace it. Otherwise, no.

Sorry, but this is the reality of the situation. Don't blame Intel. This is a systemic issue across the entire industry. This is what society has allowed, through ignorance or ambivalence, to become the norm.

Off my soapbox now...

...S

RvdH
Novice

So it is that easy? we simply revise the document, PCN117143-00.pdf vs PCN117143-01.pdf and we are done with it?

Sorry, in my opinion this is ridiculous, i thought i purchased units that did comply to, using Intel terms...IOTG Long Life Product Availability....not something that could degradate/break down in a few years time

My NUC6CAYH for example is running 24/7 since Jan 2018...what is the impact of this flaw on such usage? Is it likely that unit dies before the NUC6CAYS i use sporadically as HTPC?

n_scott_pearson

No chance, you pay extra for Long Life Products​. You will never see them in a low-end NUC.

...S

Alberto_R_Intel

RvdH, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to let you know that we verified all the information provided on this thread and we will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi RvdH,

Apollo Lake B-1 Stepping meets all Intel quality standards for PC Usage and will continue to be available and warranty applies as on any other product, no changes on this matter.

I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed with our products and I would recommend that if you still have questions or doubts about this PCN please reach out to our Customer Support Service, here is the "contact us" information: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@6

Regards,

Ronny G