Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMack6
Beginner

NUC7i7DNHE - video playback stutters at 1080P or 2160P. Windows 10/Graphics software up to date.

Good evening. I have purchased/installed the new NUC7i7DNHE w/16 GB Crucial Ram PC4-19200 and 1TB Crucial SSD and OS Windows 10. The Windows software is up to date.

The video display Intel UHD 620 has driver version 24.20.100.6025. The internet connection tests at a solid 59-60 MBbit/s as well.

Resolutions tested include 1920 x 1080 and 3840 x 2160 at 60 hz. Software tested include YouTube TV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. Google Chrome web browser is being used.

Please let me know where to dive in from here to get this new equipment working smoothly.The image is crisp/sharp, but is not smooth with stutters. The stuttering is more pronounced when the camera pans.

The same videos will play back smoothly if we take the NUC PC out of the equation.

For example, if my Smart TV streams the software directly, the playback is smooth. Display used is a LG 65" OLED.

thank you.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello jfmackenzie81,

I understand that you are currently experiencing issues with the video playback, the video does not play smooth and it stutters.

Regarding this, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, if possible, please attach to the thread a video showing the stuttering mentioned so we can have a reference of the problem. Also, please fill the information requested in the following thread:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

You can copy and paste the chart with each of the pieces of information requested there, this is to best pinpoint the cause of the current issue.

Regards,

David V
JMack6
Beginner

Hello, David. I've included the directx report and attached. I'll take a look at that the other requested info when I get the chance. Thank you,

John

idata
Community Manager

Hello jfmackenzie81,

Thank you for your response.

I see that you have posted the DxDiag. I will begin to review the information, please provide me with the rest of the information whenever you get the chance.

Regards,

David V
JMack6
Beginner

Category

Questions

Answers (N/A if not applicable)

Description

Provide a detailed description of the issue

video playback stutters via streaming online or local file playback

Please place an X to the right of the option showing how often you see this issue using specific steps. (Ex: 'Every few times a game is started it flickers.' <- This would be "Often")<p> 

Always (100%):

Often (51-99%):

Sporadic (20-50%): X

Very Sporadic (<20%):

Hardware (HW)

Brand and Model of the system.

NUC7i7DNHE

Hybrid or switchable graphics system?

ie Does it have AMD or NV graphics too?

onboard video only

Make and model of any Displays that are used to see the issue (see note2 below). 

LFP = Local Flat Panel (Laptop panel)

<strong style="font-style: inherit; font-family: intel-clear, arial, helvetica, 'helvetica neue', verdana, sans-...
idata
Community Manager

Hello jfmackenzie81,

I appreciate you taking the time to gather all this information for me. I have checked on our site and there is a generic driver which was released not long ago, I would like to first try with this driver and if it does not fix the problem then I will proceed to do a more in-depth research to find a solution for your problem.

First, please download the ".zip" file from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?produc... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27803/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?produc...

Once downloaded, please follow the steps below:

1 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

2 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

3 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

4 - Expand the Display adapters section.

5 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

6 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

7 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the .INF file (Setup information file).

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

13 - Reboot your computer

Once this is done, test some videos to see if the stuttering persists.

Also, I have sent you a private message to gather some information to proceed with the investigation of your case.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
JMack6
Beginner

Hello, David. The updated driver did not seem to impact the performance unfortunately. It's silky smooth if I run the Youtube TV app directly on my LG OLED smart tv, or cast from IphoneX to chromecast. However, the stuttering still occurs when playing video on the NUC PC.

side note: the UHD graphics software does not properly scale the image on the OLED panel by default. In the Intel display settings I'm having to choose "Custom Aspect Ratio" of about 79-80% for the image to look complete (it's otherwise zoomed in with borders cropped). If I connect to an LCD panel, the image displays correctly with default scaling settings. I don't believe this is impacting video playback, as I've tested video playback with the default setting on the OLED (image cropped) and still shows the stuttering video.

John

Ray_W_Intel
Employee

jfmackenzie81,

What you have described sounds kind of like stutter.

Please check out https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled LG C7 OLED Review (OLED55C7P, OLED65C7P) for the review on your TV and possible issues that might relate with mixed refresh rates as well as low fps sources like video/film. While it looks like your TV supports judder-free playback of 24hz content, you are effectively running a 24hz feed into a 60hz output into the input feed of your TV.

JMack6
Beginner

Good morning. I don't believe the issue is with the TV. The same videos playback smoothly if I use the built in streaming services on the OLED - netflix, amazon, youtube tv, etc.

Also if I stream from my Iphone X - the video plays back smoothly if cast to the TV.

I will try the alternate driver suggested by David and report back my findings!

thank you.

sincerely,

John

idata
Community Manager

Hello jfmackenzie81,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide me with all of the information requested. I will now proceed to investigate further about this problem and if possible replicate the issue. I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello jfmackenzie81,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

I would like to know if you have tried to update the graphics driver to the version that was released a few days ago. You can find it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27847/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?produc... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27847/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?produc...

Please download the ".zip" file and then follow the steps below:

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

10 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

11 - Select the .INF file (Setup information).

12 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello jfmackenzie81,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to try the latest graphics driver that I provided?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
JMack6
Beginner

Hello, David. I have installed the latest drivers, version 24.20.100.6136.

The video playback still has the stuttering as previously experienced. If I play the exact same video feed on my Iphone X and cast to the display, or play the videos directly on my smart tv with built-in apps, the video playback is smooth.

John

idata
Community Manager

Hello jfmackenzie81,

Have you tried to connect a different device using that same HDMI cable and play the same content? Or, can you try a different cable and connect the NUC to the TV, and then try to play the same content? The issue could be related to the interface and connection so I would like to cover that as well.

Let me know please.

Regards,

David V
JMack6
Beginner

Hello, David. I've tried four different HDMI cables, all of of which had the same result on the NUC with the stuttered playback. The same cables appear to function correctly on other devices when used to playback high definition video (4k blu ray) , stream video (chromecast), or for video game software (nintendo switch). All playback/operation is smooth in these cases.

John

idata
Community Manager

Hello jfmackenzie81,

Up to this point, what I am going to do is to try to replicate the problem and see if the issue appears, if it does then this could point to a potential driver problem. Nevertheless, we need to check and try to see if it is related to a driver or perhaps hardware.

Please allow me some time and I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
JKaru1
Beginner

I am seeing the same occasional video stuttering when playing Blu-Rays (1080P) on the NUC7i7DNHE with Intel Graphics Drivers: 24.20.100.6194. (Windows 10 Pro 1803)

JKaru1
Beginner

I tried the same Blu-Rays on the NUC7PJYH (Windows 10 Pro) with Intel Graphics without any stuttering.

I am using PowerDVD 17 as my player on both devices.

idata
Community Manager

Hello jfmackenzie81,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

I attempted to replicate the problem but there was no issue on my end. I tried with both videos from Youtube* and also Netflix*. The videos play smoothly and there is not stuttering present.

Now, this was done with a clean Windows 10 installation, so a step to follow could be a re-installation of the operating system. Also, something I would like to try to avoid the O.S re-installation is to try to fully uninstall the graphics adapter by right-clicking on it on "Device Manager" (While disconnected from the internet) and clicking on "Uninstall" until you end up with only the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter". Reboot the system and then install the latest driver update for your graphics adapter which you can find in the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27892/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126789 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27892/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=126789

Follow these steps in order to install the driver:

8 - Click "Have Disk".

9 - Click "Browse".

11 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello jfmackenzie81,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to try the driver provided?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
JMack6
Beginner

David, I've uninstalled the previous drivers (with internet temporarily disabled), restarted, and installed the latest shared driver.

The stuttering issue still persists, and now the video displayed intermittently bounces between light and dark (almost as if the video brightness is being adjusted

back and forth). There is no power saving option enabled on the TV, and the new issue is only being seen within a video window (so it's not affecting the desktop display).

Although it's a valid suggestion, I'm not open to a fresh install of windows 10 as this PC already was first installed with a clean windows 10 format (the issue was present with a clean install).

Is Intel testing on large screen hdtv's by chance (my device is a 65" OLED) . Could it be that the graphics simply does not perform on high resolution large screen display, but performs smoothly on a monitor? I'm honestly running out of motivation to test further, however still disappointed in the product performance from my perspective. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

John MacKenzie