Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12544 Discussions

No audio NUC11PAHi5 Linux Mint

trailsped
Beginner

I have NUC11PAHi5 with Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon, for my HTPC connected to my 5.1 receiver, I can't get audio to work. I have asked the Linux Mint forum, but they don't know. I was reading others are having the same issue with my scenario. Any help much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello trailsped,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• When did the issue start?
  • You can try using a different audio device to isolate the problem.
  • How are you connecting your NUC11PAHi5 to the 5.1 receivers?
  • Have you made sure that the 5.1 receiver work using a different system?
  • Have you been able to check if this happens when using a different operating system? It is essential to mention that we have only validated two operating systems to work within your unit Windows 11, 64-bit* and Windows® 10, 64-bit*. Linux Mint has not been validated to work with your NUC11PAHi5. For more information, you can refer to the following link.
  • Update BIOS to the latest version. Our latest version for your device is the 0048, for indications and information about how to update your BIOS, please, take a look at our article: "BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions for Intel® NUCs with the Aptio® V UEFI Firmware Core"

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

trailsped
Beginner

When did the issue start?

When I got the NUC middle last year

You can try using a different audio device to isolate the problem.

I tried connecting the NUC also to TV and use internal speakers with no change

How are you connecting your NUC11PAHi5 to the 5.1 receivers?

HDMI

Have you made sure that the 5.1 receiver work using a different system?

Yes, it works fine with macOS, and Chromebox

Have you been able to check if this happens when using a different operating system?

Yes, I tried multiple Debian based and Fedora distros and audio does not work. 

It is essential to mention that we have only validated two operating systems to work within your unit Windows 11, 64-bit* and Windows® 10, 64-bit*. Linux Mint has not been validated to work with your NUC11PAHi5. For more information, you can refer to the following link.

I understand that now, do you have some kind of patch or PPA that I can use?

Update BIOS to the latest version. Our latest version for your device is the 0048, for indications and information about how to update your BIOS, please, take a look at our article: "BIOS Update and Recovery Instructions for Intel® NUCs with the Aptio® V UEFI Firmware Core"

Yes, it has 0048 BIOS update

I have noticed if I set the audio in Linux Mint to digital audio out (2 channel/speakers), suspend and resume, audio usually starts, if I reboot audio stops working again, and if I try to set audio to 5.1 it won't work at all.

I see this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030985/intel-nuc.html but it's for Linux Mint 16 and intel has not updated it since 2019, will this audio fix work?

I see this https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC10i5-headphones-jack-audio-not-working-with-Ubuntu-20-0...

add "options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi" to "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf"

Then reboot. Works like a charm.

How can I adjust this to work for HDMI 5.1 audio?

Jean_Intel

Hello trailsped,

Thanks for the information provided.

As I mentioned earlier, the only validated Operating Systems are Windows 11, 64-bit*, and Windows® 10 64-bit*. Since Linux Mint 21.1 is not part of the validated Operating Systems, you should contact your Linux Distribution's support for further assistance.

As we recommended you contact Linux Mint support. We will now close this thread. If you need additional information, please, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician