Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NChan8
Beginner

The LS-PCon converter chip on Dawson Canyon?

It was written on another post:

/thread/126112 Original Article

Let me share with you that the Intel® Core™ i7-8650U indeed only supports HDMI* 1.4 will allow 4K @24Hz however, by using an LS-PCon converter chip, it is possible to support HDMI* 2.0/2.0a as a result, 4K @60Hz will be achieved. Please find this information on the processor's datasheet,

How does this LS-PCon converter work?

Does it up the data stream?

Or does it merely take 1 frame from the 24 fps, and extend it over 2.5 frames on the 60fps? To put it simply are we getting a true 60fps, or merely a modified 24fps spread over 60 fps?

How does one get an 4-lane eDP 1.4 out of the NUC7i7DHNE without there being display ports on the mobo?

Or am I reading this wrong and all we are talking about is data rates?

Could I use a USB 3.0 to DP adapter?

The reason this is being asked is that I am considering a NUC7i7DHNE to do small 10 minute video with Adobe Premiere Elements. Nothing really heavy.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

When configured for HDMI output, it is true that the processor can only deliver support for HDMI 1.4. When configured for DP output, however, the processor delivers support for DP 1.2, which far exceeds the capabilities of HDMI 1.4. As noted in the processor's datasheet, "HDMI 2.0/2.0a support is possible using LS-Pcon converter chip connected to the DP Port. The LS-Pcon IC supports two modes, (1) Level Shifter for HDMI 1.4 resolutions or (2) DP-to-HDMI 2.0 protocol converter for HDMI 2.0 resolutions."

Summarizing, two DP 1.2 streams from the processor are converted to HDMI 2.0/2.0a streams using LS-Pcon chips.

If you want to connect a DP monitor, you have three options:

1. While their use isn't formally supported (due to differences in quality -- and, unfortunately, completely independent of price (i.e. you don't necessarily get what you pay for) -- of the available third-party adapters), there are adapters that will convert from HDMI (back) to DP that you could try using.
  2. The DP boards also have an internal (board-level) eDP connector that allows the direct connection of flat panel display (including 4K@60Hz). It has been speculated that you could produce (or have produced) an adapter that connects to the eDP connector on the board and provides a standard DP connector.
  3. Based upon your minimal video requirements, you may be able to get away with a USB 3.0-to-DP adapter. There is even a chance that this is less costly than # 2 and more reliable than # 1.

Hope this helps,

...S