Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

A0070020 and Microsoft Store version of Optane software.

BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I got the EOL warning from the latest version of the Optane management software so I tried using the version on Microsoft's store as instructed by Intel. When attempting to enable Optane through this version of the software I instantly get an A0070020 error.

At this time there are 0 search results for "Optane" "A0070020" so I assume this is a new error unique to the new version of the Optane management software.

I went back to the version on Intel's site without issue.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @SDode1​ 

Please check again the table explaining the meaning of error codes https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html You will find in this table explanation for error 0xA0070020 also.

Leon

View solution in original post

16 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. The A0070020 error is not new and it is documented. The code meaning is that the application wasn’t installed correctly or needs to be repaired. See the list of Optane errors: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html
  2. If you have Optane enabled, disable it first and then open Apps and Features in Windows settings to uninstall currently installed Optane Driver.
  3. Next download and install the latest SetupOptaneMemory.exe Version: 17.8.0.1065  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29340/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?product=99745

Leon

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I should have been more clear, I currently have no issue. The issue is with the new software itself, it does not allow me to enable Optane but does let me work with Optane once it is already enabled.

If I install this on its own there is no issue:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29340/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?product=99745

If I add this on top it also functions correctly:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/intel-optane-memory-and-storage-management/9mzng5hzwz1t?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

If I uninstall everything and only install the application from the store I am unable to enable Optane caching. The error indicates a problem with the version of the software available on the Microsoft store as there is no issue using the previous version available on Intel's site.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

So, use the application from Intel Download site. If you are using Optane Module for HDD acceleration you need only SetupOptaneMemory.exe https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29340/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?product=99745

For RAID configuration and maintenance and or Optane acceleration, you need the Intel RST Driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29339/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=99745

However you don't need to install both applications in the same time.

Leon

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

There is an EOL warning on the software available on Intel's site, that is the only reason I tried the version on the Microsoft store, this is Intel's instructions.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello BHarr8,

Thank you for your reply.

Let us further investigate your inquiry for information related to the “Error code: A0070020”.

We will be contacting you back as soon as we have an update.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello BHarr8,

Thank you for your patience.

We tried to reproduce the issue you are reporting in our lab and we were not able to get the same outcome, in our case the Optane software available in the Microsoft* Store worked as expected and let us disable and re-enable the Optane acceleration.

As mentioned by “LEON WAKSMAN” the article “Error Codes and Messages While Using Intel® Optane™ Memory System Acceleration” (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html) includes the following information:

0xA0070008      

To support system acceleration with Intel Optane memory, the drive to be accelerated must contain at least 5 MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of the drive. Intel Optane memory needs the space to store configuration information to successfully pair the drive with the memory module.

Action: Confirm the drive to be accelerated contains 5 MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of the drive.

Take caution before proceeding. We recommend backing up all data.

You can view and modify disk setup in Disk Management (Windows Key + x > Disk Management).

Shrink the partition at the end of the drive. Right-click the partition of the system OS drive you want to accelerate. Select Shrink Volume.

If this option isn’t available, the partition may not be shrinkable or there may not be space to allocate.

(For HDDs) If there’s no space, defrag the system volume to create shrinkable space.

If there’s a locked partition at the end of the volume that can’t be shrunk, see How to Resize a Partition for other options.

Note:  If there’s a recovery partition at the end of your system disk, it may not be movable. A rebuild of your OS image may be required, but we suggest working with your original equipment manufacturer (OEM) or motherboard vendor before proceeding.

We advise you to check these steps and to open a ticket in parallel with your motherboard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) to check for the supported/recommended method to accelerate your systems using Optane.

We will be looking forward to your answer in the case that you have further questions or need assistance.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello BHarr8,

We were reviewing your community post, which is related to the Intel® Optane™ Memory Series, and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
SDode1
Beginner

I am having the same issue and people who have reviewed the app on the Microsoft store have had it as well. Can Intel please find a solution or should I go back to using the Intel RST program that will no longer be supported?

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello SDode1,

The error 0xA0070020 is related to the application that wasn’t installed correctly or needs to be repaired. The recommended action is to repair or reinstall the application. See steps covered in the Unable to Enable Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory in the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management Application (Error Code: 0xA0070020) article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056067/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html) to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Download the latest driver from and unzip to a familiar location.

Step 2: Open the Device Manager (Press the Windows Key + X and select from Menu).

Step 3: Expand Storage controllers.

Step 4: Right-click Intel® Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller.

Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller

Step 5: Click Update Driver.

Update Driver

Step 6: Select browse my computer for driver software.

Step 7: Select let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.

Step 8: Press the Have Disk.... button.

Step 9: Press the Browse button.

Step 10: Navigate to the location of the driver files you opened earlier and select to install the iaStorAC driver. Press the Open button and complete the process to install the driver.

If after following the steps in the article, you are receiving the same error, please provide us with the following information about your system:

• Your system configuration including manufacturer, model and part number of all your system components and a copy of the SSU logs in the system that the Optane is connected.

1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software.

2- When finished downloading it, open it.

3- Attach the file obtained to your reply post.

• A screenshot of the “Disk Management” showing all the storage devices. To access the disk manager you can choose from the following two ways:

# 1: Open it from the Quick Access Menu.

o Right-click the bottom-left corner (or Start button) on the desktop to open Quick Access Menu, and then choose Disk Management.

# 2: Access Disk Management via Run.

o Use Windows+R to open Run, type “diskmgmt.msc” in the empty box and tap OK.

We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know the results.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
SDode1
Beginner

Thanks Josh...that article applies to error 0xA0070008...I am getting error 0xA0070020.

I have re-installed Intel RST and enabled Optane and it is working fine. The new Optane App is still on my PC and it launches and sees the Optane volume correctly. So right now, I am happy if I can leave it that way. I read that it is not best to have both of them on my PC though and the RST will eventually not be supported. What should I do?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @SDode1​ 

Please check again the table explaining the meaning of error codes https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html You will find in this table explanation for error 0xA0070020 also.

Leon

SDode1
Beginner

Thanks LWAKSMAN...I followed the directions, updated the driver, even though it appeared to be the same, and that fixed the error. I am now running only with the Optane App and I have removed RST. Seems to be working well.

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

This is the same behavior I am observing. If you install the software from Intel's site the version available on the Microsoft store functions correctly.

IMO it is also unacceptable that both version of this software completely unaware of the other being installed. Best coding practices dictate that there should either be a detection followed by the option to upgrade an existing install or to refuse a downgrade without uninstalling first.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello BHarr8,

We advise you to choose just one version of the software to manage your Intel® Optane™ Memory Series. We appreciate your feedback and we will consider it for future updates.

We will like to know if you need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello BHarr8,

We were reviewing your community post, which is related to the Intel® Optane™ Memory Series, and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello,

Please review my answer in the following post: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004bDE0zSAG/win-10-app-wont-enable-optane . This is explanation how to install the Optane application from Microsoft Store.

Leon

0 Kudos