Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Accelerated drive no longer seen by Windows (but seen by BIOS)

DHard10
Beginner

I recently enabled Optane to accelerate a secondary 1TB drive​. It was working fine for a few weeks but now Windows no longer sees the drive. It previously was "E:". Disk Management does not see it. When I go into the BIOS I can see the 1TB drive in the storage settings. How can I get Windows to see the 1TB drive again?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JosafathB_Intel
Hello DHard10, Thank you for your reply. Based on the SSU logs and the screenshots you provided your Optane memory is being recognized as a storage device and we were not able to see any 1TB drive on the Storage section of the SSU meaning that your OS is not able to recognize your storage device. We advise you to contact your original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in this case Asus* to get the proper BIOS and hardware settings to set up your Optane memory. Based on the “PRIME Z390-A User’s Manual ( English )” ** The PCIe x16_3 slot shares bandwidth with SATA_5 and SATA_6. The PCIe x16_3 is default set at x2 mode. ** The M.2_1 socket shares bandwidth with SATA6G_2 port when using M.2 SATA devices. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device. Please check that you do not have any SATA drive connected to that port. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation Third Party Content: Web Sites and Materials may contain user or third party submitted content; such content is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Intel and is provided solely as a convenience to our customers and users. Under no circumstances will Intel be liable in any way for any third party submitted or provided content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions, or damages of any kind. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE MATERIALS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL. By your use, you agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any third party content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content. All postings and use of the Web Sites or Material are subject to these Terms of Use and any other program and site specific terms.
0 Kudos
DHard10
Beginner

​Thanks for the help. I can see in the BIOS that the 1TB drive is connected to SATA 5. And I do have a firewire card installed in the PCIe x16_3 slot. The fireware card was installed after I setup the Optane acceleration. Perhaps the firewire card is somehow interfering?

I will try moving the card to another slot.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello DHard10, Thank you for your reply. We advise you to check with your OEM Asus* regarding your current configuration and if the firewire card may interfere or not. We will like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DHard10
Beginner

​Although I'm still not sure what caused the accelerated drive to "disappear," I have it back working again. You can close the case. Thanks for the help.

Sharing the solution in case someone else runs into the same problem ...

The solution was to temporarily set BIOS to AHCI and boot to a Win PE partitioning tool CD. The partitioning tool was able to see the drive and that there was a deleted partition and recover it. I set the BIOS to RST again and Windows booted normally and the drive is accessible again.

I have yet to reconfigure the Optane memory to accelerate the drive, but will do that next.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello DHard10, Thank you for your reply and thank you for sharing the solution you found with the community. We are glad to hear that you were able to solve the issue you were experiencing. This case is now closed, if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos