Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Can I split my drive into two partitions and have Optane only accelerate one of them?

Flandy
Beginner

I'm using a 32GB Module on my secondary 6TB Drive. I'd like to split it into two partitions because there are certain games I'd like it not to accelerate as I would rather have the memory dedicated to something else. These tend to be multiplayer games where I'm more often than not having to wait on someone else or matchmaking so the increased speed would go to waste here.

Alternatively is there any way to exclude specific folders from being accelerated?

Edit: While I have your attention. Can I disable the Intel Optane Memory/Optane Tray Icon from my startup and still have Optane work properly?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Flandy,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

The Intel® Optane™ Memory can only accelerate secondary drives that have one single partition, so it won’t be possible to accelerate your drive if it has two partitions.

Regarding to the second question, it is not possible to exclude specific folders or files from being accelerated. The way the module works with a secondary drive is that the entire drive is paired with the module and therefore the entire drive is accelerated.

The only option I can think of, based on your description, would be to add an extra secondary drive in your system, so that the games that you don’t want to accelerate are in this extra drive, and the ones that you do want to accelerate are in the accelerated drive.

Regarding to the final question, I highly recommend you to leave the module’s settings as they are because they are needed for proper setup and run of the module. Disabling the icon may affect the module’s setup in a non-expected way causing the module to simply not start properly, or in the worst case, to stop working and corrupting the drive and module data.

I hope I have answered your concerns.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Flandy,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

The Intel® Optane™ Memory can only accelerate secondary drives that have one single partition, so it won’t be possible to accelerate your drive if it has two partitions.

Regarding to the second question, it is not possible to exclude specific folders or files from being accelerated. The way the module works with a secondary drive is that the entire drive is paired with the module and therefore the entire drive is accelerated.

The only option I can think of, based on your description, would be to add an extra secondary drive in your system, so that the games that you don’t want to accelerate are in this extra drive, and the ones that you do want to accelerate are in the accelerated drive.

Regarding to the final question, I highly recommend you to leave the module’s settings as they are because they are needed for proper setup and run of the module. Disabling the icon may affect the module’s setup in a non-expected way causing the module to simply not start properly, or in the worst case, to stop working and corrupting the drive and module data.

I hope I have answered your concerns.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation