Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Can't get Optane Memory to work

STayl7
Beginner

Just completed a new build and have tried every tip I can find and the enable is still greyed out. Windows sees it but looks like it just sees it as a little ssd drive. I have double, triple and quadruple check the bios and CSM is off, remap is turned on, Intel RST is selected (instead of ACHI). I have tried it in both M.2_1 and M.2_2 I have moved all the other SATA's to non-shared lanes so the M.2's have it to themselves. Getting frustrated since I have been working on this since Christmas any one with ideas or success would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached the intel support generated document

MB = AsRocks Z370 Extreme 4

HD = 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda setup as Raid 1 (mirror)

Windows 10 latest build (but also did on pre-update build)

BIOS updated

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello SteveTJr,

Thanks for posting.

From the report provided, we can see your system meets the general requirements to use Intel® Optane™ Memory. However, it is booting from a RAID1 volume. This is not compatible with Intel® Optane™ Memory.

Intel® Optane™ Memory requires a single physical SATA boot drive with Windows 10*. You can find more information about Intel® Optane™ Memory requirements and its configuration here:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025569/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions about Installation and Configuration for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Best regards,

Eugenio F.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello SteveTJr,

Thanks for posting.

From the report provided, we can see your system meets the general requirements to use Intel® Optane™ Memory. However, it is booting from a RAID1 volume. This is not compatible with Intel® Optane™ Memory.

Intel® Optane™ Memory requires a single physical SATA boot drive with Windows 10*. You can find more information about Intel® Optane™ Memory requirements and its configuration here:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025569/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions about Installation and Configuration for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SteveTJr,

We haven't heard from you since the creation of the thread. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
STayl7
Beginner

I did actually see your last post and based on that had to return the Optane Memory since I am not willing to give up my RAID drive. It was looking forward to using it but in the description and videos advertising it I never saw any mention of single bootable hard drive as a requirement. Was looking forward to it and if a way is ever devised to use it with a RAID array will definitely consider it again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello SteveTJr,

Thanks for your reply. We'll take your feedback about the product in consideration.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
DGrim2
Beginner

I could have sworn I saw you could RAID 0 the Optane and a (system) HDD then RAID 1 the resulting volume with another HDD (for mirroring). I'm trying to find that article again because I would like to mirror my (system) HDD as well.

0 Kudos
DGrim2
Beginner

I cut the below from an INTEL FAQ. It looks like I might be right. If the system HDD is accelerated RAID 1 with the optane INSIDE the volume you can.

Comments before I order another HDD I can't afford.

I want to set RAID up on my system. Can I accelerate these RAID volumes with Intel Optane memory?

Intel® Optane™ Memory cannot accelerate a RAID volume. An Intel Optane memory volume can reside in the same system as a RAID volume. The operating system must be on the SATA drive accelerated by Intel Optane memory.

NoteIn a system with this configuration, we recommend using the Intel RST application to manage your RAID volume and Intel Optane memory volume.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello deraldg,

Thanks for posting.

What the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html FAQ for Intel® Optane™ Memory explains in that question is that you can accelerate your single SATA boot drive with Intel® Optane™ and in the same computer have a separate RAID configuration for storage.

Please notice that Intel® Optane™ can't accelerate a RAID volume. Even though you may use Intel® Optane™memory as a standalone NVMe* SSD and add it to a RAID configuration, this is not a supported configuration and will not accelerate the system.

I hope this information will be useful for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos