Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Cannot enable Intel Optane

mny
Beginner

Hi there.

I've bought a 32 GB M.2 Intel Optane module, but after trying literally everything cannot make it to work, I've an updated BIOS, Optane RAID set with PCIe remapping, OS formatted in GPT and set to UEFI for initiation, even changed to M.2_2 which says TURBO M.2 in my motherboard.

Specs are:

i7-7700k

MSI Z270 M3

WD GOLD 10TB

Corsair 16GB RAM 3000MHz

CM V850 Gold rated PSU

Please I really want to test the module, any help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello mamalon,

We understand you're having difficulties enabling system acceleration using your new 32GB Intel® Optane™ Memory module.

In order to better assist you we would like to have the following information:

1. What is the error message you receive? Please share a screenshot if possible.

2. Do you have any other drives on this computer, or only the Optane™ Memory and your 10TB HDD?

3. Please take a screenshot of your Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) showing your storage drives.

4. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. Save and share the report with us.

5. Which SATA port is your HDD installed in? Feel free to attach a picture if you're not sure of the port number.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
mny
Beginner

Thank you very much for the consideration Carlos A.

Now I'll proceed to fill the requested data:

1.- http://imgur.com/a/2nxnN Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet Also to note that the module is recognized as installed in BIOS, but once in the OS I can't see it as a diskpart

2.- I've tried with main only, currently two drives are connected

3.- http://imgur.com/a/EaNnL Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

4.- http://www2.zippyshare.com/v/Uu2mhzKO/file.html Zippyshare.com Windows is fully updated

5.- Main storage SATA is set to port 3, I can change the connection to whatever you please

I hope you can solve my issues, I'll be reading the subforum for any answer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mamalon,

Thank you for this information, it should help us narrow down the issue.

What we can try next is to reset your Optane™ Memory module from within your BIOS. To do this, we'll need to find the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology menu, select your Optane™ Memory module and reset it.

The manual for your motherboard hasn't been updated to include this information so I'm unable to provide the exact steps, as this varies from one brand to the next. But if you have any doubts, please take a screenshot (or as many as needed) of your BIOS so that we can help clarify.

The menu we're looking for should be a variation of the following:

Once your module has been reset, it should be detected in Windows*.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
mny
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

Many thanks for the follow-up.

So now I've got the screenshots in sequential order:

The Info is there, you tell me what to do next, I can't see an option to reset the module, it's not even listed.

But before I'd like to know If any data backup is needed just to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mamalon,

If the module is detected elsewhere in your BIOS, it should be displayed in that last screen right under your SATA drives.

To troubleshoot this we can toggle your BIOS boot mode to ensure it has been set correctly. There are two places where this can be set:

1. Under Settings > Advanced > Windows OS Configuration > Windows* 8.1/10 WHQL Support

2. Boot > Boot Mode Select

Let's try toggling these settings in the following way:

Option 1:

Set your Windows* 8.1/10 WHQL Support to Enabled. This will hard set the Boot Mode Select option. Reboot to see if your OS will now detect the Optane™ Memory module. Skip if this is how your system is currently configured.

Option 2:

Set your Windows* 8.1/10 WHQL Support to Disabled. Go to Boot > Boot Mode Select and set this to UEFI (not UEFI+LEGACY). Reboot and test.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
mny
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

There's a place where I can see the module as detected which is at the ports numbering.

The option 1 was current so tried option 2, set Windows* 8.1/10 WHQL Support to Disabled and changed Boot Mode to UEFI only. This didn't changed the outcome though, same error as showed first in the thread.

Then reverted back (Windows* 8.1/10 WHQL Support Enabled) and I'm still getting that error.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mamalon,

We're currently researching your issue.

In the meantime, if you haven't tried this already, please enable the "M.2/Optane Genie" option in your BIOS, then boot to Windows* and check to see if the software will allow you to enable system acceleration.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mamalon,

Did you upgrade to Windows® 10 from Windows* 7 or 8.1, or was this a clean installation?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
mny
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

The OS was installed from scratch after acquiring the memory, HDD data was first deleted and left shown as "unallocated space" then formatted, previous OS image partition scheme set to GPT, target system type UEFI only, file system NTFS. The OS is Windows 10 Redstone 2 Up-to-date. M.2/Optane Genie is enabled in BIOS. Memory not visible in non-raid listing, under slot port M.2_2 only as Optane Memory. Hope this helps something but as now I find myself reluctant of trying to modify BIOS or of any serious change that might risk losing data. I'm starting to think maybe its a HW issue, but If that it shouldn't be reporting as installed in BIOS, right?

Thanks for the attention.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mamalon,

At this point I'm sure that we've exhausted all logical troubleshooting.

Our next recommendation will be to contact your place of purchase and replace your Intel® Optane™ Memory module. If it's been more than 30 days from your date of purchase, you may need to contact your local https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html Intel® support team instead.

If your memory module was faulty, then the new one should install without any issues. However, if the problem persists, you will need to engage your motherboard manufacturer to look into that part of the puzzle.

Do let us know if we can help you with any part of this process.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mamalon,

We are checking in as have not heard back from you in a while. Was MSI* able to resolve the issue or provide any useful information?

Best regards,

Carlos A.

0 Kudos
mny
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

First of all, sorry for the late reply.

Pertaining the very issue, apparently I wont be able to test further any time soon until backing up the data.

Was wandering If cleaning the disk where the OS will be installed from another disk to carry this out, would that do any difference afterwards.

All this because I don't really see myself returning the stick, I'm sure it will give more hassle than a solution given my current location.

Saying that If this turns not to work in the end, it will be the last Optane stick I'll be getting, I really thought this would have been an easy one.

And please don't close the thread, whenever I find the chance I'll keep trying so to report anything back, be it good or bad.

Thanks for all your efforts.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mamalon,

While in most cases a low-level format and clean installation of the operating system using the appropriate settings will resolve any issues. There are some systems where customers may need to wait for a new BIOS update from their motherboard manufacturer before system acceleration can be implemented properly. I really do hope that you belong to the first group. However, we'll have to find out after you're able to back up your data.

Take your time, don't worry. We'll be here when you're able to post another update.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos