Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Cannot enable optane M10 memory in my system. I need your supports!

TuanAnh
Novice

As mentioned I have the problem with enabling optane M10 memory. I did a lot of research on the site and tried various methods but the problem has not been solved. Bellows are my attempts:

- Using safe boot to change from AHCI to RAID in bios then installing Intel® Optane™ Memory User Interface and Driver for System Acceleration Version: 16.8.3.1003. Result: "No compatible disks for Intel Optane memory."

- Using Intel RST Driver v16.8.3.1003. Result: "Your system appears to be Intel Optane memory ready but no Intel Optane Modules were detected in your computer."

- Using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Installation Software with Intel® Optane™ Memory v17.9.1.1009. Result: "There are no valid disk pairs in your system"

- Having couples of clean windows 10 installations and testing new and previous versions of RST and Optane Driver. Result: still failed to enable Optane memory.

I did a lot of research and tried various methods but there wasn't a single successful attempts.

Does someone have the solutions for this? I need your help!

Bellow are some screenshots from my computer.

bios.jpgDisks infor.jpgIOM1.jpgIOM2.jpgMST.jpgRST1.jpgRST2.jpgSSU.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Your system obviously doesn't support Optane M10. I can make only a few basic recommendations. First, talk to your mobo vendor to see if there is a BIOS update that adds M10 support and, if there isn't, whether this is a future possibility. If not, you are down to two choices, either put up with the SSD portion being unaccelerated (and the Optane portion a tiny SSD, if even useable) or return the drive and get a super fast NVMe SSD to replace it (a better solution anyway, IMHO).
...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @TuanAnh 

I can see two problems in your installation:

1. The Optane drive is Not Initialized (should be Online). Open the Disk Management,  right-click the Optane drive and select Initialize Disk. Select GPT (GUID Partition Table) and press OK (see the attached image)

2. Your Windows is not updated. You run version 1903 and today we have version 2004 released. However, this is not causing your problem, since Optane works on version 1703 or later.

3. So, once you have Optane drive online, update Intel RST Driver as described in para. 3.1,  page 10 of Intel Optane Installation Guide   , open Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management Application and enable Optane.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User

The M10 drives were only released for OEM inclusion. Mainstream motherboards may not have support for M10 drives in their BIOS (it requires some special PCIe steering to support them). Are you sure you have a motherboard that has support in its BIOS?

...S

TuanAnh
Novice

Thanks for replying!

What type of PCIE steering does it need man?

I think my system detects the module because I can use it as a storage and as you can see in Intel memory and storage tool the module is detected as Intel Optane memory M10 series.

Do you have any advice man?

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Your system obviously doesn't support Optane M10. I can make only a few basic recommendations. First, talk to your mobo vendor to see if there is a BIOS update that adds M10 support and, if there isn't, whether this is a future possibility. If not, you are down to two choices, either put up with the SSD portion being unaccelerated (and the Optane portion a tiny SSD, if even useable) or return the drive and get a super fast NVMe SSD to replace it (a better solution anyway, IMHO).
...S
0 Kudos
TuanAnh
Novice

Thanks for giving the advices!

I did the disk initialization and left the Optane memory as Unallocated space but nothing change man, the software still shows "there are no valid disk pairs although both the HDD and the optane module (as a Pcie ssd) are there in the manage tabs. 

I already installed the lasted version 17 of intel optane memory management but sadly it's still the same.

I notice that the Intel MAS tool detects the module as Intel Optane memory M10 series while in RST and Intel Optane management detect it as INTEL MEMPEK1J016GAH or PCIE SSD.

The module can also work as a storage when I format it as a partition so I think the system can fully access to the module.

Initialize1.jpgInitialize2.jpg

0 Kudos