Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Cannot open Intel Optane Memory UI

RThor13
Beginner

I'm having a problem running the Intel Optane Memory application. It was working fine and memory is enabled, however now I am unable to open the application. There is no error message displayed, but two Windows event log errors are generated.

First error:

Application: OptaneMemoryUI.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.

Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 0000000000000000

Second error:

Faulting application name: OptaneMemoryUI.exe, version: 17.8.0.1065, time stamp: 0x5dee850f

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000

Faulting process id: 0x6b0

Faulting application start time: 0x01d631d4b52af3e7

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Optane Memory\OptaneMemoryUI.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: ca426b92-8ef4-46f9-878f-9edeac33a2ae

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I'm running windows version 10 Pro 1909 build 18363.836

I tried uninstalling the application to reinstall it, but cannot because the memory is still enabled.

Thanks,

Robert

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RThor13
Beginner

I was able to resolve the error through the following steps:

1. Download and unzip the RSTCLI Pro for Intel® Optane™ Memory (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29451/Intel-RSTCLI-Pro-for-Intel-Optane-Memory?product=55005).
  2. Manually update the  Intel® RST Windows* driver which is included in the download (make sure you choose the "have disk" option during manual driver update, Windows thinks it already has the best driver installed).
  3. Run the RSTCLI from a command prompt run with Administrator privileges and disable the Optane Memory optimization.
  4. Backup the HDD at this point. There may be files stored in the Optane memory that have not been flushed to disk yet. Backing up prior to this may miss some files.
  5. Uninstall the current Intel® Optane™ Memory application (cannot be done as long as Optane memory is enabled)
  6. Install the new Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management application from the Microsoft App Store.
  7. Re-enable the Optane optimization with the new application.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. FYI the Intel® Optane™ Memory application has reached End of Life. It boeing replaced by Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management, downloaded from Microsoft Store. However yoy are right, do not uninstall the currently installed application, before disabling Optane acceleration.
  2. Backup your drive first.
  3. Please open Apps and Features (in Windows settings). Click on Optane Memory UI and then click on Advanced Settings. Now, click on Repair.

Leon

0 Kudos
RThor13
Beginner

I was able to resolve the error through the following steps:

1. Download and unzip the RSTCLI Pro for Intel® Optane™ Memory (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29451/Intel-RSTCLI-Pro-for-Intel-Optane-Memory?product=55005).
  2. Manually update the  Intel® RST Windows* driver which is included in the download (make sure you choose the "have disk" option during manual driver update, Windows thinks it already has the best driver installed).
  3. Run the RSTCLI from a command prompt run with Administrator privileges and disable the Optane Memory optimization.
  4. Backup the HDD at this point. There may be files stored in the Optane memory that have not been flushed to disk yet. Backing up prior to this may miss some files.
  5. Uninstall the current Intel® Optane™ Memory application (cannot be done as long as Optane memory is enabled)
  6. Install the new Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management application from the Microsoft App Store.
  7. Re-enable the Optane optimization with the new application.

Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.