Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Computer crashed while disabling Optane

REenk
Beginner

Yesterday, I upgraded my PSU. After first restart, I realized I had forgotten to plug in my secondary HDD which is controlled by my optane 32 gb. I shut down and plugged it all in, restarted and checked everything. It all seemed to be working fine till I tried booting up a video game. After waiting 20 minutes for it to boot, I cancelled the operation and started the process to disable optane. During the 1st step in the process, the electricity in the building flickered and shut off my computer. Upon restart, it seemed like the process just picked back up where it left off. After 4 hours on step 1, it moved to step 2. At this point I went to bed assuming it would finish by morning. When I came back to it, it was just spinning on step 3 and has been since (approx 6 hrs). Is this a normal amount of time?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Robeenk,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Considering the scenario that you explained, it may be possible that the process took longer than usual because it was interrupted abruptly. Anyhow, the important detail is if the process finished and if you were able to setup everything as it was before. Could you please confirm this?

Regards,

Diego V.
REenk
Beginner

Hi Diego,

I appreciate your response.

No, after leaving it to cycle for a day and a half, I finally gave up on it. I shut down my computer and disconnected the HDD and rebooted with just my NVMe (boot drive) and the Optane memory installed. Once in windows I checked back with RST and it just indicated that it was not connected to any drive and ready to connect. From there I connected an older 3TB HDD and set it up with Optane. It has been running all my games great so far. I tried reconnecting my 1TB FireCuda and it absolutely doesn't recognize that it exists. I went into windows disk management to see if there was any way to recover it to no avail. Also tried diskpart with the same results. I've just downloaded Ubuntu and am ready to try taking a more brute force approach. Please, if you have any suggestions to recover my drive, I would be very appreciative. I'm not interested in retaining the data, I just want my drive to work.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Respectfully,

Rob E.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the explanation.

I understand that there are no issues with the Intel® Optane™ Memory as you were able to pair it with another drive. That's great.

Regarding to your first drive, I'm not sure how you can recover it. I'd try to perform a secure erase from Diskpart but it seems that you already tried that.

If you want to try using Ubuntu, you may want to take a look at these threads where it's explained how a low-level format can be perform. Hopefully it'll work with your drive:

1. https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1510870 Ubuntu Forums
  2. https://askubuntu.com/questions/253096/low-level-format-of-hard-drive Low level format of hard drive - Ask Ubuntu

Please keep in mind that the information on those threads are beyond of our support scope, however I'm sharing them with you as they may help you to recover your drive, but I cannot guarantee that they will work. I hope you find them useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
REenk
Beginner

Diego,

Ok, thank you for the links.

Have a nice day as well.

Respectfully,

Rob E.

0 Kudos