Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Computer is saying Unsupported BIOS configuration

JReit6
Beginner

Hello there so im trying to set up my Intel Optane with my Asus ROG ​Strix B360-H motherboard and it says that the BIOS configuration is not supported, I've gone through many other threads and those solutions don't seem to work. I should also mention I have CSM on, which has been suggested to others to be turned off however I need it on or else the computer will not boot off my SATA

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JReit6,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I understand you are not able to set up the Intel® Optane™ Memory in your system due to the BIOS configuration.

One of the requirements the system must meet in order to setup the module is that the CSM setting is disabled so that the Legacy mode is turned off. This is most likely the reason why you are getting the error message.

If you cannot boot from your SATA drive once the CSM setting is disabled, then it’s probably that your OS is configured to work in Legacy mode, maybe due to the partition table used.

In this case, you would have to format the drive and re-install the OS again making sure the CSM setting is disabled, so the OS is installed to work in UEFI mode and not in Legacy mode.

Alternatively, there is a Windows* tool that you can use to make the conversion without the need of formatting the drive. The tool is called MBR2GPT.EXE.

This process using MBR2GPT.EXE is described in the following Microsoft* article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

There are some examples at the end of the article, but basically, the command that you have to run from the Command Prompt as Administrator is the following:

mbr2gpt.exe /convert /disk:0 /allowfullOS

Please try this and let me know the results. Once the system is in UEFI mode, we can try to enable the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JReit6,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I understand you are not able to set up the Intel® Optane™ Memory in your system due to the BIOS configuration.

One of the requirements the system must meet in order to setup the module is that the CSM setting is disabled so that the Legacy mode is turned off. This is most likely the reason why you are getting the error message.

If you cannot boot from your SATA drive once the CSM setting is disabled, then it’s probably that your OS is configured to work in Legacy mode, maybe due to the partition table used.

In this case, you would have to format the drive and re-install the OS again making sure the CSM setting is disabled, so the OS is installed to work in UEFI mode and not in Legacy mode.

Alternatively, there is a Windows* tool that you can use to make the conversion without the need of formatting the drive. The tool is called MBR2GPT.EXE.

This process using MBR2GPT.EXE is described in the following Microsoft* article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/mbr-to-gpt

There are some examples at the end of the article, but basically, the command that you have to run from the Command Prompt as Administrator is the following:

mbr2gpt.exe /convert /disk:0 /allowfullOS

Please try this and let me know the results. Once the system is in UEFI mode, we can try to enable the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JReit6,

I would like to know if you have any updates.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JReit6,

Since we haven't received any update, the thread will be closed, but if you have any updates to share, feel free to post them here.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos