Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Correct settings for Optane and still not detected. Screenshots included

OSmit7
Beginner

MSI Z370 SLI PLUS (Latest Bios)

Intel i3-8750K

Optane Model: MEMPEK1W032GA

SN: PHBT715601HS032E

FW: 0310

BIOS

UEFI Only:Enabled

Raid/Optane Mode: Enabled

Optane: Enabled

RST Pcie Remapping:Enabled

Hi, I've read all of your documentation for the setup and videos. I checked the troubleshooting section and forums, but still the system doesn't detect my optane in Windows.

I can see the optane in the Bios and it shows the Optane details in the firmware updater, but the Optane Memory app doesn't see it. I tried the manufacturer Optane drive and the Generic Intel Driver

As you can see, all my BIOS settings are correct but the RST section in bios doesn't show the Optane Listed. So there doesn't appear to be Non-Optane mode option

I connected the Optane in a different computer and was hoping it would at least detect it as storage but no joy.

It seems strange that the intel firmware update is able to see it but nothing else. Is there any kind of rescue disk I can run which will fix it. I'm beginning to think the Intel Optane has failed.

Also, what is the difference between this model and the M10 memory. Is there some compatibility issue cuz I can't find documentation.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, OSmit7.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel® Community Support.

I checked your ticket regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory setup, I will be glad to assist you.

Regarding your question about M10, you can say it is a newer version that provides additional compatibility for mobile systems (laptops), but it is also compatible with desktop versions.

After seeing the error message you have in GUI, I have the following questions:

1. Is this the first time you are trying to install the Optane™ Memory or was it working before?

2. If this is the first time, is the Optane™ brand new or was it "previously installed"?

3. Have you checked the Optane™ Memory in Disk Management or Diskpart and performed a "clean" or erase it?

- If the Optane™ has old data from a previous configuration, this could be the reason why it was not even recognized as a storage unit, so clear the old metadata may be required.

4. Have you tested the Optane™ Memory in the M.2 port that is closest to the processor (or the other one)?

- I could not find a specific port for Optane™ in the motherboard specifications but it is still worth trying.

I could not find any particular recommendation regarding the BIOS settings after checking the user manual for that motherboard, except for "Install, Enable Optane™ Genie, Save and Restart", so contacting MSI to double-check is also a good option since they have more information about enabling Optane™ in this particular system.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
OSmit7
Beginner

Thanks for responding.

1. I had the Optane working in my old computer which I no longer have.
  2. Previously installed
  3. Optane doesn't show in Disk Management, Diskpart, or even Device Manager for that matter. I was hoping to clear metadata or put it in some kind of non-optane reset mode to clear it but that is either not available or not working.
  4. I've tested the Optane in both M.2 Slots. It's only "Detected" in the M.2_1 slot near the processor. Sadly, no joy

I was hoping there was some other rescue step we could perform since it was installed in a system previously.

I'd really appreciate any other advice. I've ordered a cheap 16GB M10 for testing so that I can determine issues for comparison.

MSI still hasn't responded but if I get any useful info I will post it here.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. To wipe the Optane from the old ennoblement, use Diskpart command clean all . Be sure to select the correct disk number (you should select the 32 GB drive).
  2.  Download Intel RST Driver and unzip it on your drive. Right click on iaStorAC.inf and select install from drop down menu. Reboot your computer.
  3.  Reinstall the Intel Optane Memory and Management.
  4. Now enable Optane Acceleration. Follow Intel Optane Memory Installation Guide, Section 3.

Leon

0 Kudos
OSmit7
Beginner

I appreciate your reply

In my previous posts you'll see I shared the configuration. I also noted the following

"Optane doesn't show in Disk Management, Diskpart, or even Device Manager for that matter."

For this reason I'm unable to use Diskpart. I also tried connecting to another computer to see if I could at least choose diskpart.

I even went as far as to do a Windows 10 reinstall and put the RST Optane drivers at the main install hoping that it might help with detection.

The only thing that "recognizes" the Optane is the Firmware update disc when booted.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

In your first post you indicated that the Optane is recognized in Intel Firmware Update Tool. Intel has released an other tool: Intel SSD Toolbox. If the Optane will be recognized in this application, you may try to wipe it using the Secure Erase future.

Leon

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, OSmit7.

The Intel SSD Toolbox may not actually perform the erase in Windows 10, but it is still worth trying to check if this works.

I would also try removing the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management and then:

1. Use the regular SetupRST.exe to install the driver:

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29339?v=t

2. Restart

3. Open the Intel RST window and check if you see the Optane and have the option to clear it.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, OSmit7.

I wanted to follow up on your ticket to check if you tried any of the recommendations provided by the community or any other steps.

If further assistance is required, please let me know.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, OSmit7.

This message is to follow up on your ticket to check if you tried any of the recommendations to enable the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

We previously mentioned the possibility of using a Secure Erase and or the regular Intel RST to clear the Optane module.

I will proceed to close the thread since there has been no confirmation after trying to follow up.

If further assistance is required, please let us know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos