Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Disk at risk (SMART event)

shari002
Beginner

Intro: I have no idea what I am doing or if this is the correct forum.

I suddenly started getting notifications that only state: One of your disks is at risk (SMART event). Please open Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management application for details.

There is no code at all with the message. More info just takes me to this website. When I open that app, it says my storage system is functioning normally. I don't see anything telling me something is at risk or anything like that.

Is there something I am supposed to be doing here? Is it because my memory is running low?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is a capability built into HDDs and SSDs. Essentially, it is a capability that allows a drive to predict its own failure based upon a set of standard and manufacturer-defined criteria. When a drive begins predicting its own failure, you should replace this drive immediately, in order to avoid losing any data when it does fail.

The Memory and Storage Management app (MAS for short) has the ability to display the states of the criteria - known as S.M.A.R.T. Attributes - that are used by the various Intel drive models. It cannot do the same for 3rd-party drives, however, as these drives will have differing criteria and thresholds for failure against these criteria. What this means is that you can receive a notification that a drive is predicting its demise but the tool cannot find any Intel-manufactured drives that have an issue so it reports nothing. This is a bit confusing and a whole lotta wrong, I would agree. You would think that the tool could handle this situation better (more consistently) - and at least indicate where the prediction is coming from - but it doesn't.

There are 3rd-party tools - AIDA64, HWiNFO, etc. - that will attempt to properly interpret and display the S.M.A.R.T. attributes for many manufacturers' drive models and these usually do a fairly reasonable job. I suggest that you try running one of them and see if it can provide you with more information. You can post the information here if you need help with interpretation.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Spiritgear
Beginner

I am having the same issue with my BRAND NEW Laptop, keep getting "alert" INTEL SMART EVENT disk is at risk?  How do I fix this and why being that it is new am I even getting this notification?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

When you purchased this BRAND NEW Laptop, part of that purchase was for the laptop manufacturer's support.   Contact the laptop manufacturer.

Also, new things can break.  Nothing is perfect.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos
Spiritgear
Beginner

So you are saying my laptop is broken?  I have had this laptop for about 2 months, never had that message before now, does not sound like "Laptop" is broken" but rather a software issue with Intel since each time I get the alert it send me to the Intel support?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I am saying there is possibly a failure somewhere, and that you have a warranty with the laptop manufacturer.  I am also saying you need to contact the manufacturer of your laptop.   That is what I am saying.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

0 Kudos