Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Do I need to defrag my hdd if I use optane with it?

JBrow28
Beginner

I was wondering if I need to, or even if it is possible, to defrag my hdd while using it in conjunction with an optane module?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello rdxlcti,

Thanks for posting in our communities. Your thread as been moved to Intel® Optane™ Memory support.

Once you enable Intel Optane memory, both Intel Optane memory and the accelerated SATA drive appear as one SSD volume to the operating system. As a result, the options for defrag aren't available.

You can find more information about Intel Optane memory features and requirements here:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023994/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Overview and Requirements for Intel® Optane™ Memory

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory

EDIT: Just for you to know, defrag is not available since it is not required. The Intel® Rapid Storage Driver (used by Intel Optane Memory) takes charge of maintenance and garbage collection functions on the accelerated drive.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
AROHO
Novice

Hi,

I'm in the same situation.

Optane + HDD = SSD (viewed by O&O Defrag).

I disabled Optane and I defragged my HDD and rebuilt it after.

I have to remove softwares. I have to "clean up" my HDD.

It will inevitably be fragmented.

My questions are :

- is this the correct method?

- How many times can I disable and reactivate the Optane memory?

- or no defrag. Optane optimises the system.

There is an information in Optane software:

"last optimization on xxx at yy:yy.

Nest optimization on ddd at tt:tt."

(sorry for my english. I hope you understand what I say/want to do).

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Regards.