Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Does anyone from Intel know whether the May update for Windows 10 (the new build) will work with Optane enabled or should Optane be disabled before allowing the update to install?

PLeon6
Beginner

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

I would disable optane, take a backup, do the May update, take a backup, then re-enable optane.

In a normal world, you should not have to do this. But, optane is not part of the normal world, and being prepared for the worst dictates being super prepared.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I would disable optane, take a backup, do the May update, take a backup, then re-enable optane.

In a normal world, you should not have to do this. But, optane is not part of the normal world, and being prepared for the worst dictates being super prepared.

Doc

0 Kudos
PLeon6
Beginner

Yeah, that is good advice, what about the RST driver? It is enabled in the BIOS and installed under Windows. It seems like a lot of trouble (and could cause problems) to maybe have to disable/uninstall that as well. I'm just wondering if Intel devs have any advice. I'm assuming they have been using the insider build to test their software/hardware, especially since the problem with USB drives and the new build showed up (apparently fixed now).

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You don't want/have to disable/uninstall the Intel RST software. You are going to need it later if/when you are going to re-enable Optane.

...S

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. I'm supporting Al's advice to disable Optane before upgrading to version 1903. From my experience, during update to version 1809, with Optane enabled, my NUC become unbootable. You don't need to change the SATA mode from RST to AHCI. If you will do this without taking precaution, you will lose your system.
  2. If you want to change the SATA mode, first perform system backup and then boot into Windows in SAFE mode. Next, you may change the SATA mode in Bios, while Windows is in SAFE mode. The system will not be damaged.

Leon

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel1
Employee
Hello PLeon6, The answers provided by the communities are accurate and can be followed. If you happen to face further questions, feel free to contact us back. Regards, Esteban C Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos