Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Enabling Intel Optane for Lenavo 330

TChow1
Beginner

Hello, I have a Lenovo Ideapad 330-17IKB 81M 8th gen Intel i5, 8GB RAM, Toshiba mq01abd100 SATA Storage. I installed the driver for Intel Optane Memory from Lenovo Driver Download site. I can see that my BIOS has been updated properly, but when I open the Intel Optane Memory GUI, it shows an error that it cannot find any compatible disk. From what I read, Optane should be supported in this PC w/ this storage type. I have attached my System Information (From Intel SSU App). Can someone take a look and let me know if it's really not compatible?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello tarekc972,

Thanks for posting your question in the Intel® Optane™ Memory community.

After checking in the recommended manufactures that sell Optane ready boards, Lenovo is not in this list. This won't necessarily mean that the Optane memory won't work on your board, this means Intel has not tested or validated boards from other vendors. Here is the list of recommended vendors:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024020/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Where were you advertised about your laptop being Optane ready?

In order for the Optane to work you need to confirm the BIOS is ready for it. To confirm the BIOs is ready for Optane you can check if you are able to change the SATA mode in your BIOS from AHCI to "Intel RST premium and system acceleration". If the option is not available in your BIOS this would mean the motherboard is not Optane ready and you will need to contact your manufacturer to be sure if they have an Optane Ready BIOS for your laptop.

Additionally I would like to know how are you connecting the Optane memory to the system. What interface are you using?

I will be waiting for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
TChow1
Beginner

Hello Juan,

Thank you very much for the quick response. My BIOS has updated from AHSI to "Intel RST premium and system acceleration".

Yes, Lenovo advertised that this Laptop is Optane compatible. I actually downloaded the Optane Driver from their official website.

I am using the Intel Optane Memory interface.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/300-series/330-17ikb-type-81dm/81dm/81dm001uus/pf12vj93/downloads laptops and netbooks :: 300 series :: 330 17ikb type 81dm :: 81dm :: 81dm001uus :: pf12vj93 Lenovo PC Support - us >> Storage >>

This package provides Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) Driver and is supported on 330-15IKB (Type 81DE), 330-17IKB (Type 81DM), 330 Touch-15IKB (Type 81DJ) and running the following Operating Systems: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thanks again for your help. Please share your thoughts.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tarekc972,

I have researched on your issue.

As mentioned before Intel has not tested any Lenovo motherboard for it to work with Optane. However if Lenovo has advertised that your laptop works with Optane it should work.

Have you attempted to use RST to enable the Optane memory? You can try to enable the Optane through this tool.

Here is the link to download the RST:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/55005/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

Under section 2.2 of the installation guide you can find the steps to follow to enable the Optane.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf

We can try this optional way to enable your Optane. Is this procedure does not work you will need to contact Lenovo, some original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) have their own procedure to enable Optane.

If you have any additional question let me know.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tarekc972,

Do you have any additional question or feedback to provide about this issue?

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos