Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Hard Drive - No NVMe Drive detected on PCI tag00B8

BChre
Beginner

I am working on a computer & when I boot it gives me an error message stating a failing component has been detected. The error reads, "Hard Drive - No NVMe Drive detected on PCI tag00B8." The computer has a spindle drive but utilizes an Intel MEMPEK1J016GAD (16GB Optane RAM). I have tuned of the M.2 port from the bios, raid-->ahci, & replaced hard drive. The computer works without the use of the optane RAM, but I would like to know what would cause the optane RAM to fail. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. "...but I would like to know what would cause the optane RAM to fail." every thing can fail from different reasons, however you didn't provide any data except the failure warning. Did you ask you computer manufacturer support.
  2. Except to generating this warning, did your system booted/worked? If yes, I'll may provide you with some suggestion how to check this Optane Memory.

Leon

0 Kudos
BChre
Beginner

I did reach out to Dell Support but the computer's warranty ran out October 2019. This is my father's computer & I am trying to fix it for him. Originally, the computer would never boot to the OS. It would go directly to the error message & let you continue, only to restart the computer & start the whole process over again. I was able to boot the computer by going into the bios & changing the RAID--->AHCI & reinstalling Windows. Also, I disabled the M.2 port in the bios but turned it back on after installing the OS. I wanted to see if I could find it (Optane RAM) in device manager to troubleshoot further, but I cannot locate it unless I'm looking for the wrong thing. Ultimately, I would like to get the Optane RAM working because there is a noticeable difference in hdd speed without it.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Is the Optane Memory recognized in Bios (i.e. can you see it in Bios). If yes, open Disk Management click on Action > Rescan Disks.
  2. If you will see the Optane Memory in Bios and Disk Management, I'll will instruct you how to enable Optane Memory.

Leon

0 Kudos
JamesH1
Beginner

I found that the specific error that you refer to is not the memory but it is a failed Solid State Drive in the laptop that I am working on. Once I swapped the hard drive the system booted up. 

0 Kudos
BChre
Beginner

I am not seeing it in the bios. The only thing I did was remove the RAID function & reinstall the OS. I'm starting to think that the module went bad. I guess my options are replace it or just not have it at all.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

First verify if the problem is in the Optane Memory or in the laptop. Insert this Optane Memory in the other M.2 slot (if this laptop has one), or check this Optane Memory module if recognized in other computer. You may use also a NVMe Enclosure to check this module. Something like this.

Leon

0 Kudos
JamesH1
Beginner

I am finding mem issues that look like they are related somewhat to your issue. 

1. Memory does not fail as often as the errors suggest ad some can be fixed with Flashing the BIOS. Having a known good memory around to test with helps me to check the status of the memory. 

2 During colder weather - changing environments (Hot to Cold or Cold to hot) tend to sometimes cause an issue with not the memory but the memory slot on the main logic board. If the memory slot has gone bad the motherboard will need to be replaced. 

Mem test can be run to check memory but diagnostics do not always uncover an issue. There is more than one type of memory on the motherboard. Swapping with known good memory is the fastest way to see if the memory module is the issue. 

Do not work inside the computer without making sure you are grounded. 

Some laptops will have a raid setting in the BIOS and sometimes the "Hard Drive - No NVMe Drive detected on PCI tag00B8 error is related to that setting. Trying a known good hard drive will also help narrow down the issue. 

0 Kudos