Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

How to correct Optane Pinning error

JMcGu3
Beginner

error message: intel optane(tm) memory pinning unable to load DLL 'iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll' ….. How do I fix this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Try the following:

1. Disable Optane caching/acceleration.
  2. Completely uninstall the RST/Optane software.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Reinstall the RST/Optane software.
  5. Re-enable Optane caching/acceleration.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
JMcGu3
Beginner
To Disable Optane caching/acceleration?Device Manager? Is that a setting in Bios or though a device listed in device mgr? As a note I don’t believe my model laptop has Optane installed. Sent from Mail for Windows 10
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You obviously have Optane Memory installed and operating or you wouldn't be hitting this error. Check in the Apps & Features app and see if there are entries for Intel Optane Memory and Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions. If you see these entries, then you do have it installed and you can proceed to follow the steps I defined (though, if this is new to you, you may have to go to your laptop manufacturers site and download the Intel Optane Memory software package that they make available). If you don't have the software installed, then you need to install it (and skip the next paragraph).

The Intel Optane Memory feature will be displaying an icon in the System Tray. Double-clicking on this icon will bring up the GUI. Click on the Setup tab on the left. The scene presented should say that Intel Optane Memory is enabled and accelerating your system. Click on the Disable button to disable it. After going through the uninstall, reboot and reinstall , enter the Optane GUI and then this Setup scene. The button presented there now should allow you to re-enable Optane and accelerate your HDD.

If you never had the software installed, you will want to install it now. Once it is installed and you have rebooted, entering the GUI and going to the Setup scene will allow you to see the status of the acceleration that is going on. Actually, the tooltip presented when you mouse over the icon in the System Tray will provide you with this status as well.

Hope this helps (and doesn't overwhelm),

...S

0 Kudos
JcTcom
Beginner

Not actually true.  Newer board with RAID that support "Optane" memory still use the Intel "Optane" memory and Storage management in order to provide RST services for the RAID array.  I also have not found a taskbar icon for notification and display of the RAID status even on brand new computers / installs.  

Carl

0 Kudos
JcTcom
Beginner

Note:  My last reply was specifically in response to n_scott_pearson's post.  Thought it would put it directly under since I clicked on Reply directly under his post.

Carl

0 Kudos
JcTcom
Beginner

Unfortunately DWeis12's suggestion did not work for me either.  Keep in mind I am not getting any sort of error message and when I open the Intel Optane memory and storage management (They really need to shorten that name!) it does appear to be functioning properly as it does display my RAID array.  But still no taskbar icon.

Carl

0 Kudos
DWeis12
Novice

You needn't uninstall anything.

I looked for where the iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll was supposed to live, C:\Program Files\Intel\OptaneShellExtensions, but I didn't have it. 

The Solution that worked for me is:

Under Add/remove programs select "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management from the right pane ("Apps & Features").

Select "Advanced Options", then click "Repair" and then "Reset"

Restart your computer and then that iaStorAfsServiceApi.dll will be present, and you will no longer receive the error.

0 Kudos