Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

How to makde Optane and SATA pairing more stable - Optane and paired SATA drive go offline often.

JB28
Beginner

I had my motherboard and Optane settings all set up and paired it to an internal SATA drive. As far as I can tell, everything was set up and working properly. However, both the Optane and the SATA drive often go offline and the Current Status says "Your system is reporting one or more error events, and data may be at risk."

I've been able to resolve this several times by going back to a system restore point so it may be tied to Windows 10 auto updates.

How can I make this pairing more stable?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JB28, Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information: • The SSU logs. 1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software. 2- When finished downloading it, open it. 3- Attach the file obtained to your reply. • A screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions (this to have a better view on how your SSD is detected by the OS) • We will like to know if you are using the latest version of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28413) that is the version: 16.8.0.1000. We will be looking forward to your reply including this information. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JB28
Beginner

Josh,

I'm using IRST 16.5.0.1027, but I'll update to the latest version.

Attached are the files you requested, the Hitachi drive as my F drive was the one I was trying to pair with my Optane memory. It is not currently paired with the Optane memory until I can better understand what is wrong so I don't put my data at risk.

Although it is not currently paired, IRST is showing that my Hitachi drive is reporting an event. I'm not sure what the error means, it just says SMART event with a link to suppress it. I haven't had any previous issues with this drive prior to trying to pair it to Optane memory.

When looking through Optane material, I see there is a mention of leaving unallocated space at the end of the drive, that is only if you are pairing it to the drive with your OS, correct? My OS is already on an NVME drive so I'm pairing a spinning SATA drive that I access often.

Thanks,

Jayson

Disk Management.png

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JB28, Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support. We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case? Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JB28, Thank you for your reply. To support system acceleration with Intel Optane Memory, the SATA disk must contain at least 5MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of the booting drive. Intel Optane Memory needs the space to store configuration information and to successfully pair the SATA drive with the memory module. Please, let us know the results after updating the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) software. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JB28
Beginner

Josh,

The SATA drive I'm trying to accelerate is not by boot drive, it is an internal spinning disk SATA drive. I have a NVME drive for my boot drive. Do I need the 5 MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of my SATA drive, my boot NVME drive, or both?

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JB28, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JB28, Thank you for your reply. The 5MB of continuous unallocated space needs to be at the end of the booting drive in your case the NVME, but feel free to create this space on both drives. Please let us know the results. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JB28, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JB28
Beginner

So far everything is working fine. I'll create a new ticket if I have any further issues. Thanks.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JB28, Thank you for your reply. As per your consent, this case is now close if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos