Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

I can't Enable Intel Optane Memory, I've tried everything.

FScha2
Beginner

@

Hello guys, so, I'm having trouble to install and Enable my Intel Optane memory.

My set up is:

Core I7 7700k, MSI Z270 Gaming M5, 2x Kingston DDR4 2666MHZ, Intel SSD6 512GB M.E, HD 1TB Western Digital (that I left disable to not lose my data) and th Intel Optane Memory 32GB;

So, I have tried everything and aways get an error messege. I have reinstalled my OS a lot of times, using an Original Microsoft .iso and other as well.

Is the SSD 6 512GB with a M.2 socket compatible with the Intel Optane? I'm not using a Sata drive.

To activate the Intel Optane Module on my motherboard, I have also enable the RAID configuration. I have downloaded the last RST driver so my sistem reognize the RAID driver and then install y OS.

The last error I got is: System Unit without Support. (transleted from Portuguese, I'm sorry ;/ )

Can someone help me please?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello felipe_scharf,

Intel® Optane™ Memory can only accelerate SATA based boot drives. The Intel® SSD 600p Series is an NVMe* drive and is not compatible with system acceleration.

Our best recommendation will be for you to install your OS on your 1TB HDD (unless it's external) and use the 600p as a fast storage drive. Optane™ Memory will accelerate your HDD and you will be left with two very fast drives as a result.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello felipe_scharf,

Intel® Optane™ Memory can only accelerate SATA based boot drives. The Intel® SSD 600p Series is an NVMe* drive and is not compatible with system acceleration.

Our best recommendation will be for you to install your OS on your 1TB HDD (unless it's external) and use the 600p as a fast storage drive. Optane™ Memory will accelerate your HDD and you will be left with two very fast drives as a result.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
FScha2
Beginner

Hello,

First, thank you very much for your help. I really helped.

Second, I still have a question... If I put my 1TB HHD (not external) as my primary and enbale Intel Optane on it, and left my SSD6 to be my secondary Hard Drive.... Will my 1TB with Intel Optane be less fast than the SSD6 itself?

Do you think that using a Normal HD with Optane is equal to use a SSd M.2? It is just a question. Anyway, thanks for helping.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello felipe_scharf,

It should perform very similarly, and in some cases even better.

For comparison I went over to our lab and installed Windows* on one of our old SATA revision 1.0 hard drives (your 1TB drive is more than likely uses SATA 3.0 which is much faster to begin with), ran a test, enabled a 32GB Optane™ Memory stick like yours and ran another test:

Before:

After:

The difference was dramatic to say the least. And this is only a benchmarking test, since Optane™ Memory works by optimizing your system and the software you use the most, your real life results may be even better than this over time.

If you have any other issues or questions, do let us know. We're always glad to help.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
FScha2
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for aswer my question again, I really apreciate your help.

I ran some tests by myself, I here are the results, maybe it can help more people that had the same questions as me;

SSD INTEL 512GB M.2 :

HD WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB RED WITHOUT INTEL OPTANE 32GB:

HD WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB RED WITH INTEL OPTANE 32GB:

SSD WESTERN DIGITAL 120GB WITHOUT INTEL OPTANE 32GB:

SSD WESTERN DIGITAL 120GB WITH INTEL OPTANE 32GB:

I'm going to buy a new HDD, a WD Black, for run some more tests. If someone wants, I can post the results of the test as soon as it arrives.

Thanks again for your help.

Have a nice day.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello felipe_scharf,

Thanks for sharing your results, we're sure that many users browsing this community will find it helpful.

If there's anything else we can help with, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
PS10
Novice

Hello Carlos!

So if I am running an M.2 drive and try to use Optane it is not compatible as well?

Thanks!

P

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello overloadu,

You can use Optane™ Memory to accelerate an M.2 SSD as long as you make sure of the following:

1. M.2 SSD must be SATA based.

2. The port where you install your Optane™ module and the one you use for your M.2 SSD must both use your chipset lanes.

Bear in mind that M.2 is just a form factor. An M.2 SSD may be SATA or NVMe* interfaced. You will need to check with your motherboard manufacturer (or in your manual) to find out if both of your M.2 slots make use of your chipset. If one of the ports uses your CPU lanes instead, the configuration will not work.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
TBruc2
Beginner

Carlos,

I've got my OS on a Samsung 960 Pro. I put one of your optane 32s in the second M.2. No matter what I try on my ASUS x299 TUF Mk2 (i7-7800x. it just won't run. I was hoping to use the optane to accelerate the seagate HDD. Any suggestions of should I just toss this POS in the trash.

Sincerely,

One P Oh'd Engineer.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peacekpr,

We understand you have your OS installed on a Samsung* NVMe* SSD, and would like to use Intel® Optane™ Memory to accelerate your secondary hard drive.

In this case, Intel® Optane™ Memory won't work, as it's only intended to accelerate SATA based boot drives.

If you really want to enable system acceleration with Optane™ Memory, you would need to migrate your OS to your HDD. This way you would end up with an HDD that will perform at NVMe* speeds, and a fast Samsung* secondary drive.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000023994.html Before You Buy Intel® Optane™ Memory.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024018.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
TBruc2
Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply Carlos.

I only found that page after I couldn't run this thing. Intel sure tried hard to hide it. So many documents exclaiming the virtues of Optane memory yet a critical point like this is hidden as a footnote. I'm quite unimpressed with such deception.

As for your suggestion of using the 960 Pro as a secondary device... not going to happen. The 960 outperforms in every category. I won't slow my system down just to run a new technology. That makes no sense.

If Intel ever decides to allow the Optane to improve the performance of the average HDD then you have something.

I will just flog this useless M.2 chip on ebay with a huge warning on it.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peacekpr,

We understand your frustration, we'll make sure to pass your feedback along.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos