Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Ideapad 330S-15IKB: Error Enabling Intel Optane memory Error code 0xA008002D

damole
Beginner

I just got a new Ideapad 330S which came with an Intel MEMPEK1J016GAL modue installed. I have updated to the latest BIOS 7SCN34WW dated 10 Jun 2019. I have checked in the firmware and the storage is set to RST and it reports:

Non-RAID Physical Disks:

>SATA 0.0, ST1000LM035 ...

>PCIe 1.0, INTEL MEMPEK1J016GAL ...

I clean installed Windows 10 1903, updated to RST driver version 17.5.2.1024 and installed the latest Optane software but I get the above error.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi damole;

Thank you for posting on Intel® Optane communities.

We have reviewed your issue on enabling Intel® Optane™ Memory, please see our comments below:

We have available the following article for your information on Error Codes and Messages While Using Intel® Optane™ Memory System Acceleration; please follow this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html  

Error Code: 0xA008002D

Unsupported System BIOS or System BIOS is set in Legacy Mode.

As your Intel Optane Memory is originally factory installed, please take our recommendation to contact direct, your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), Lenovo* for additional support on your re installation. Please bear in mind, Optane Memory is manufactured by Intel®; however, as an OEM product, Intel® provides generic versions of hardware, software and drivers. Your OEM is responsible for altered features, customization incorporated, or other changes made.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

We will be available to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hello damole,

Greetings from Intel® Optane community.

This is a friendly reminder this issue remains open, awaiting your reply.

We will be available to help you in any way we can.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi damole,

Greetings from Intel® Optane community.

Please be aware this community thread is being closed.

If you have future questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Please feel free to get back to Intel® communities, whenever you might feel necessary.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
damole
Beginner

I posted the same message on the Lenovo forums but received no meaingful replies.

For now I have switched the machine into ACHI mode and the main Seagate hard disk seems to be performing better according to CrystalDiskMark which was part of the motivation for getting the Optane acceleration working. Previously the hard disk was constantly "in use" and slowing the whole system down. I think for now it will work until it gets a proper m.2 SSD boot drive upgrade or possibly a bump from the 4GB RAM installed to 8GB.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hello damole,

Thank you for your reply to Intel® Optane community.

We’ve made a research on your laptop type and the Optane Memory Module installation; found the following details, that might be of interest to this thread, please follow this link for further details: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/Configure-Intel-Optane-on-330s-15ikb/td-p/4366045  

Additionally, we are providing this Intel® Optane™ Memory M and H Series Installation Guide for your convenience; https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf this is a very valuable tool for installation and future reference; please refer to page 17, for cases when the AHCI mode must be used.

As indicated before, when configuring Optane memory in OEM systems like laptops, it may be possible that there are special requirements for the setup. We recommend in these scenarios to contact the laptop manufacturer directly for better assistance.

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

Third Party Content: Web Sites and Materials may contain user or third party submitted content; such content is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Intel and is provided solely as a convenience to our customers and users. Under no circumstances will Intel be liable in any way for any third party submitted or provided content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions, or damages of any kind. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE MATERIALS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL. By your use you agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any third party content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content. All postings and use of the Web Sites or Material are subject to these Terms of Use and any other program and site specific terms.

0 Kudos
damole
Beginner

I contacted Lenovo and they suggested I contact Intel.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi damole,

Thank you for your reply to Intel® Optane community.

We’ve previously provided full details from Lenovo* website, with detailed indications on Optane Memory installation, please proceed to open this link: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-U-and-S-Series-Notebooks/Configure-Intel-Optane-on-330s-15ikb/td-p/4366045 then, proceed to the bottom of the page, where you will find the following link, aimed to the specific issue you are facing: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht504150 open it to find the solution offered in the Lenovo* community, containing full details on a Step-by-Step mode, including image captures.

We have already indicated, when configuring Optane memory in OEM systems like laptops, it may be possible that there are special requirements for the setup. We recommend in situations like this, to contact the laptop manufacturer directly for better assistance.

Please feel free to get back to Intel® communities, whenever you might feel necessary.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

Third Party Content: Web Sites and Materials may contain user or third party submitted content; such content is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Intel and is provided solely as a convenience to our customers and users. Under no circumstances will Intel be liable in any way for any third party submitted or provided content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions, or damages of any kind. ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE MATERIALS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR OTHER DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL. By your use you agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of any third party content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content. All postings and use of the Web Sites or Material are subject to these Terms of Use and any other program and site specific terms.

0 Kudos
damole
Beginner

I had already read that post before I posted here and tried the suggested steps. I have have already contaced Lenovo support who told me to contact Intel which was my last post here.

I have been programming computers since the early 80s and so come to this with some experience of software and hardware.

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel1
Employee

Hello damole,

I would like to request a quick report from your system to get some data reviewed, it would be the Intel® System Support Utility report, check it on the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Regards,

Esteban C

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel1
Employee

damole,

This is to check if you had the chance to gather the information requested 2 days ago.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
damole
Beginner

I've attached the SSU output.

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for the data provided, damole

If you are still getting the same error code (0xA008002D) when you are about to enable the Intel(R) Optane Memory Technology, that could mean 2 things, the BIOS is not supported or the BIOS is in Legacy Mode. Please review the data below for that matter.

-First of all, make sure the BIOS is not setup as legacy mode

-Second, make sure the SATA mode is RST Premium

-Third, verify the "remapping" is enabled

-Fourth, CSM has to be disabled

Then boot to Windows 10*, chances are you may be required to do a system (OS) repair.

If the problem is still present after following those steps, the problem is mainly related to the BIOS, due to the fact Intel does not create BIOS for Lenovo or any other company, it would be required to contact them and ask for further troubleshooting, I know you already contacted them, but if the problem persists, as per the error code, the problem is related to the BIOS.

I used the following article as a reference: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel1
Employee

damole,

This is to check if you were able to proceed with my latest recommendations from 9/26/2019 and how they went as well.

0 Kudos
damole
Beginner

I purchashed the laptop as a gift for my sister who is a teacher and as the new school year has alrady started, decided to buy a new 500GB NVMe SSD and remove the Optane memory and hard disk. The laptop is obviously performing very well now with the added bonus that battery life should also improve.

Thanks for all the responses and attempts to get it working. Maybe I will try the Optane in some other machine if I have the opportunity.

Please conisder this thread closed.

0 Kudos
Esteban_C_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for the update, damole.

The thread will be closed.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
purnendu
Beginner

I had same problem. The problem is due to improper configuration of storage driver of HDD. Please follow the steps

1. Go to device manager (Wndows + X ) and find storage controllers. Select Intel chipset SATA storage and click on properties.  Click update driver on driver section of properties. Click browse my computer for drivers and select 'Let me pick a list.....' .From the available drivers, select 'Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller'. Click Next and install it. Restart the laptop.
  2. Download  SetupOptaneMemory from intel website. Install it. It will install appropriate driver. Restart the pc, open IntelOptaneMemory application and enable Optane.

Note: If compatable driver is not installed, use a different version of  SetupOptaneMemory by uninstalling last version and repeating step 1 & 2 again.

0 Kudos