Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

If I have an existing SSD disk with operating system and a free M2 slot, does it make sense to retrofit Optane H10 32GB + 512GB SSD memory? Will it accelerate the existing SSD also or only the SSD in the M2 slot?

JKasb
Beginner

I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF54 Mk3 with an I5 7th generation processor.

If I install only a M2 Optane 32GB instead of Optane H10 32GB + 512GB SSD, that speeds up my existing SSD and the operating system as well?

Data migration to a new SSD is very difficult as I have many test programs installed where licensing is linked to the hard disk serial number and so I would need to re-license all of these programs.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

With best regards

Johann

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Optane module is designed to improve the performance of SATA-based storage, not M.2-based storage. While the caching works well with a SATA-based SSD, the biggest benefit obviously comes with the acceleration of a HDD.

​A hybrid device is formed containing the Optane module and the accelerated storage. Once formed, the Optane module and the physical storage device will no longer be visible. As a result, I do not believe that your tie to the physical device's serial number will remain in effect.

Hope this helps,

...S​

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The Optane module is designed to improve the performance of SATA-based storage, not M.2-based storage. While the caching works well with a SATA-based SSD, the biggest benefit obviously comes with the acceleration of a HDD.

​A hybrid device is formed containing the Optane module and the accelerated storage. Once formed, the Optane module and the physical storage device will no longer be visible. As a result, I do not believe that your tie to the physical device's serial number will remain in effect.

Hope this helps,

...S​

0 Kudos