Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Image backup and restore with optane?

mjons
New Contributor I

I have a nuc with optane memory. My previous NUC7i3 died and i received a new one with optane. I just plugged in the old ssd and activated optane and it worked fine.

But I use macrium backup, would a macrium backup image be able to reinstall on a new nuc with optane and be bootable if this machine also dies?

After what I have read you have to disable optane first for the ssd to be bootable on another machine. So for image backup and restore is the safest thing to disable optane?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
RWils3
Beginner

Hi Juan,

I've tried that. It will only function if the optane is installed. I removed the optane reinstalled from my image and it would not boot until I reinstalled the optane module. When I looked in the bios there under SATA controller configuration is Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System Acceleration selected and if I remove it, it states it could corrupt my system. I have set it to AHCI and then the system will not boot. with or without the optane installed. if I set it back to the Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System Acceleration selected it will boot.

Disk Management shows the optane unallocated

Now what do you suggest?

Thank you so much..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Please remove the Optane memory out of the system and perform a clean installation of Windows. Restoring an image will not remove the problem. A clean installation of Windows will have the boot files that are installed in the Optane memory to be installed in the SSD.

Let me know if you have any additional question.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
RWils3
Beginner

Ho do I keep the contents of my drive if I do a clean install? The whole point is to keep my files not reinstall windows. How can I separate the Optane and not lose my installation?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

The recommendation is to do a back up of all your information before doing the Clean OS installation. In the following link you will find information about the information back up:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007914/server-products.html

Best regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I would like to know if you need additional assistance regarding this issue.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos