Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Immediate BSOD from Optane-Enabled Windows 10 after overwriting Optanes stored data.

Archie
Novice

Hello all, and good day,

I recently attempted to Dual boot my PC, and unbeknown to me, doing so is unsupported by Optane.

Attempting to boot Windows 10 after automatically running and failing start up repair gave me:

C:\Windows\System32\config has missing files or the registry is corrupted
Code 0x000000F

I have since reverted this by deleting the Linux partition on my Hard Drive and re-expanding the Windows 10 Volume. I've also gone to the extent of attempting to run running SFC (which failed because of Windows Resource Protection - bizarre for Windows PE on the USB which runs as SYSTEM without TrustedInstaller(?)).

Using all the Windows Recovery options, and booting in the variety of start up options leads to the same BSOD as soon as I press the continue key.

I installed a copy of Windows 10 onto the HDD on another partition without Optane and it boots just fine, in fact, I'm writing this post on it as I have no other means of web browsing.

I have no other storage devices besides an 8GB USB and reinstalling Windows 10 isn't a viable option, but if the worst comes I am fully aware of the process of reinstalling windows, or in my case, re-enabling Optane on this partition as I've faced this issue before after attempting a dual boot and cut my losses. Some people just don't learn, eh?

I've already reached out to HP who've sent me here, and Microsoft Community which also confirmed/guessed it's an Optane issue the community member is too inexperienced to understand.

Both volumes are still displayed as bootable on the Windows Boot Manager selection screen.

System is the HP Pavilion 590-p0063na

Any ideas on booting this partition?

Thanks in advance, Archie Randall.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Archie.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your ticket regarding the BSOD during Windows 10 boot, I will be glad to work on the case with you.

We can assist with Optane Memory related errors or recognition issues, but OS recovery or troubleshooting is to be provided by Microsoft, especially when the code is provided with the BSOD, and is not an actual error from the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management; I understand you already tried getting assistance from them and from the system manufacturer, but there are no special troubleshooting steps or recovery options we can offer beyond reinstalling the OS.

Since you already tried the available Windows 10 recovery options and Safe-mode, like the "Startup repair function" or "Installation media to restore your PC", maybe you can try to transfer the files from the failed-OS partition to the one currently working.

With this being something we can't actually reproduce, maybe the best option would be to check directly with Microsoft on how to recover a system showing error 0x000000F so center their attention on this and not on the fact that your system has an Optane Memory.

I will keep the ticket open in case other community members would like to participate or if you would like to share any updates, I and I also follow up on September 20th just in case

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Archie
Novice

I'm aware I can copy my files over to the new Windows 10 Partition, but this still isn't viable, and how I fixed the issue last time.

The question was directed here as Microsoft Community where unsure on how to either recover the data on the Optane drive, possibly by copying over files, which from experience comes with caveats, or by stopping the Broken windows 10's dependency on Optane in order to boot.

From their understanding Optane duplicates files rather than transfers them in a strange sort of RAID configuration. All I'm interested in is essentially removing Optane dependency from this OS as the BSOD is directly referencing the fact that the files stored on the memory module cannot be found but are, to my eyes, unless optane transfers specific Registry hives, are still there.

The documentation isn't out there on how to perform this otherwise I'd still be attempting things myself and you're the only people out there with the knowledge of how this all works. You went to the extent to document that dual booting isn't possible but not how to recover from it when dimwits like me do it without checking.

If documentation does exist, and you still think this problem is not to do with Optane, perhaps linking sources for me to interpret could be nice.

HP dismissed me immediately and referred directly to Intel meanwhile Microsoft Community brainstormed for a few days before giving up. Surely you can offer some sort of assistance like they tried? Otherwise I'm going to spend a further few weeks trying to resolve this issue by myself as this was supposed to be my last cry for help. It's been 14 days and the cat videos can't wait much longer!

Thanks in advance, Archie.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Archie.

Good day,

There is an article on various Optane errors or events shown by the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management or Intel RST, although it does not apply to BSOD scenarios; there are no documents for us to provide as there isn't one on how to do what you are requesting nor a document on why this is not an Optane issue.

Personally, these are some options I would try just to check what happens*:

1. Disable Optane acceleration from BIOS** (if it is enabled): Check in the RST menu or Storage sections for an Option to Disable, Deconcatenate, or Reset to non-Optane (Select the Option to keep files if available). Try to boot with the non-working OS partition after that.

2. Clear old pairing information or metadata: Boot using your currently-working OS partition, install the latest Intel RST driver for your system and the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management GUI, then check if the GUI shows the Optane drive and also shows the Option to "clear metadata". Erase it and try to boot using the non-working partition after that (Intel RST for 9th Gent https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19755/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-installation-software-with-intel-optane-memory-8th-and-9th-gen-platforms.html).

3. Change the SATA mode in BIOS**: Change this setting from "Intel RST controlled / RAID" to "AHCI / non-RAID / Not RST controlled", then try to boot in Safe mode using the "Startup and repair settings" of the non-functioning OS partition and try "Secure boot with networking".

*I have no other ideas at the moment, please keep in mind this is unofficial, anything may happen, your currently working partition may not even boot after any type of BIOS changes/adjustments.

**I can't give you details on the exact location or name of the settings in BIOS since this will vary depending on the OEM.

I will keep the thread open and follow up on September 21st just in case.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Archie
Novice
In the BIOS choosing to reset to non optane claims it will erase data on all drives? Does this mean only all installed optane drives or does it also apply to my Hard Disk? I was going to attempt this previously but didn't want to cause further issues, especially not erase a disk I haven't the money to back up.
0 Kudos
Archie
Novice
Upon clearing cache this option no longer shows anyway, and displays Intel Optane, the partition still doesn't boot but anything is progress once you've ruled it out.
0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Archie.

In BIOS you may have an option that says something like "Preserve user data", the methods to disable from BIOS or clear metadata should erase the pairing information, not the actual files like performing a "format disk".

Now that you have cleared the cache, have you tried changing from Intel RST controlled to AHCI?

I will keep the thread open and follow up on September 21st in case additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Archie
Novice

In the BIOS, after clearing the Optane Cache, the option to preserve user data appeared. I have done this as well as disabling optane, neither allow it to boot.

Are there registry keys which tell Windows to use Optane? Since I can't disable optane on the old partition through Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management but can on the new one, is the old OS expecting optane to be there still, as my BSOD message remained the same but the code changed to 0xC00000255.

I can open up the registry hive on my working OS and edit the values/delete keys as needed, if actually possible.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Archie.

We do not have any information or guidance we can provide regarding this, we can only recommend following any Windows recovery options you have available or check again with Microsoft for assistance with the new BSOD code.

I can still leave the thread open in case other community members would like to participate, or in case you would like to share your findings with the community, but there is no further assistance we can provide, thus this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel support.

If you require assistance with something else in the future, you can always contact us back by opening a new thread or using any of the available support methods: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos