Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane H10 recognized, but unable to enable acceleration. Tried everything, but nothing works!

JaYMaxX90
Beginner

I bought intel optane h10 1tb/32gb variant.

I've tried every possible option but I just can't seem to get the optane working!

I read the forums, followed the steps according to the Drive Detection & Performance Troubleshooting Wizard.

Configured my BIOS to the exact settings

I have wiped and cleaned the optane drives with diskpart commands, Reinstalled Win10 numerous times.

But I still can't get the optane working. I get the "There are no valid disk pairs in your system"

I understand that the Intel optane memory M can be used to accelerate SATA drives, but the H10 series can be paired with the NAND storage and cannot be used to accelerate sata drives.

I have scroll through the intel community, but I didn't find anyone who expierenced the problem I have.

What must I do, to get the optane working properly?

All help is appreciated!

System

Intel i7 9700K

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro (motherboard supports Intel optane H10 series on both M.2 slots)

G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB x 2 @ 3600Mhz, CL16.

GTX 1060 6GB

PSU  850W

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JaYMaxX90 

1. The mother board you are using has 2 M.2 connectors. Since you set PCIe Storage Dev
on Port 9 to RST Controlled, your H10 drive should be installed in port M.2A (the one close to CPU). Is it?

2. You may read the Optane Installation Guide, which may help you.

3. Have you updated the RST driver? See para. 3.1, page 10 in the guide.

Leon

0 Kudos
JaYMaxX90
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

I have installed the latest version of RST, and to be sure I also updated the driver manually in Device Manager.

And yes the NVMe is installed in the upper M.2 slot.

I have literally tried every method I could find, I just can't get it working.

Regards.

Jeffrey

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Hope that Intel Support Engineer will help more assuming that there is no failure in the SSD. You may download and install Intel MAS Tool and check if the SSD firmware is updated.

2. You may try install this H10 SSD in the second M.2 slot on your motherboard. In this case you should take care to set the relevant Port to RST Controlled (please read the board User Manual).

Leon

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JaYMaxX90.

I have been checking your details and the motherboard specifications, and your configuration looks good so far.

Looking at the user manual of the motherboard, it mentions the old Optane Memory interface, have you tried using this tool too?

Downloads page: https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci

Untitled.jpg

It would be better if you uninstall the existing RST driver and the Optane Memory and Storage Management, then install the Intel Optane Memory Software version 17.8.0.1065 seen in that picture, check if this changes the situation (this is option 1).

If the issue persists, check with the latest RST version from that same page, as you can see, it is 17.9.0.1007 (while our version is17.9.1.1009), so install the latest from the manufacturer (1007) and then install the Optane Memory and Storage Management from the Microsoft Store (this is option 2).

Let me know if you already tried this or anything else.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JaYMaxX90
Beginner

Hi Bruce, thank you for your help.

I have tried every method / option I could find before opening this topic as a last resort.

I have tried my motherboard's manufacturer latest drivers, I have tried intel's latest drivers. Nothing works. Every time I get the same error message in Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management, and in the about to be discontinued Intel Optane Memory app.

What can I do more?

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JaYMaxX90.

I have been looking for more details regarding this error, but I do not have any solid recommendations.

I tested an Optante H10 in a local Gibabyte motherboard that supports the regular Optane M10... I disabled the M10, removed it, installed the H10 and booted the system to check the message in the tool, and I get the same message, but this is an H270 motherboard, so I expected this to happen (The 256GB portion is recognized though).

10.jpg

I checked the supported M.2 file in the details page for this H270 motherboard and it includes the H10, but I'm sure this is not correct, looks like it is a general file since it is the same for the Z390...

23.jpg

All this time spent aside, let me know if you can try the following (this involves various BIOS settings adjustments, so make sure you have a backup of your information):

1. Load the default profile in BIOS: Access the BIOS, click "Save & Exit", click "Load profiles", select "Default profile", then save the changes and exit, then go back to the BIOS right away to make sure the changes took place and make other.

2. Now that you are back in the BIOS, click BIOS, change "Windows 8/10 features" to "Windows 8/10", the CSM option will show up, disable it, then click Peripherals, click "SATA and RST configuration", change SATA mode to "Intel RST + Optane", do not change anything else, save the changes and exit.

3. Boot into the OS and check if you still get the same message
3.1 It may be worth going back to BIOS one last time and change "RST control PCIe" from "Auto" to "Manual" and ensure the PCIe is "RST controlled", but I found this not be be necessary.

4. If that is the case and the error persists, I would try a minimal configuration, meaning that the only storage drive in my system would be the Optane H10 and I would disconnect any other device that is not needed, then perform a clean OS installation on the storage portion of the H10 (both portions should be visible during the OS installation), as soon as the setup is done I would install the latest RST driver from the Intel website (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29647/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-Installation-Software-with-Intel-Optane-Memory?product=55005) and then the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management from the MS Store.

I completely understand this is really time consuming, that is the reason why I mentioned that I do not have other solid recommendations, but is something I would try having the hardware available to me.

Contacting Gigabyte or opening a ticket with them may also be necessary in case the issue persists.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @JaYMaxX90 

Good day,

I wanted to follow up on your ticket to check if you tried what I mentioned in my previous message or if you tried anything else.

If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
JaYMaxX90
Beginner
Hi Bruce, I have tried a fresh new os install with the recommendation from your last reply.

But still I got the same error message and still can't enable acceleration.

I'm beginning to regret my intel optane purchase. I tried literally everything, but still i cannot get it working!

I'd like to get more support from Intel, and i am willing to try something different to get this working!

So please let me know something I can try.

Kind Regards.
Jeffrey
0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, JaYMaxX90.

At this point we have exhausted all the all possible troubleshooting from our part.

- I'm assuming you tested the Optane H10 in both M.2 ports, even if the motherboard does not mention specifically if one of them supports it or not.

- We followed the motherboard user manual.

- Tried the latest RST driver from the Intel site and the version from the OEM site.

- Tried the old Intel Optane Interface from the the OEM site.

- Tried the new Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management from the MS store.

- Restored BIOS defaults, changed settings accordingly and performed a clean OS installation.

- The motherboard recognizes both sections of the Optane H10; the Storage and the Optane.

The only option right now is to contact Gigabyte support directly to get assistance from the motherboard manufacturer; detailed steps to enable H10 in this motherboard and get a clear answer about this motherboard being H10 ready or not, they are the only ones that can confirm if you need to perform any other BIOS adjustments or let you know if this board supports H10 or not.

Gigabyte support: https://esupport.gigabyte.com/Login/Index?ReturnUrl=%2f

You may provide him the steps I listed before along the error message so they do not ask you to try that again.

I understand this has not been a good experience, specially since we are following all the appropriate steps... depending on how long ago you purchased the unit, contacting the seller/store to replace it may be an option, but if it's been more than 30 days or it is outside of their replacement policy, let me know and I may be able to assist you with that, this way we can rule out a possible defective unit.

Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @JaYMaxX90 

Good day,

This message is just a quick follow up regarding what I mentioned in my previous message.

I wanted to check if you attempted to contact the manufacturer or considered the option to get the unit replaced in case this is due to a defective Optane H10 module.

The first option would be the best one since that way we can be 100% sure Optane H10 works in this system and what adjustments are needed.

If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @JaYMaxX90 

Good day,

I wanted to follow up on your ticket regarding the Optane H10 setup.

I previously mentioned that contacting the motherboard manufacturer for other details or specific instructions regarding this motherboard and Optane H10 is currently the best option, also that replacing the unit could be another option to discard the possibility of a defective SSD.

The thread will be closed for now since there has been no response, but please contact us back if we can be of assistance by opening a new thread or via any of the other contact methods (chat, phone or online service request): https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@17

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos