Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Intel Optane + HDD enabled, my SSD NVME not recognized

AMaiz
Beginner

I enabled intel optane to accelerate my 2nd drive which is HDD used for dump files. My system Win 10 64 is installed on my primary driver 960 Evo SSD NVME. After enabling optane I am no longer able to update the evo Driver and is forced to use a driver from microsoft "samsung NVM express device is not connected. connect the device and try again". My motherboard is Aorus Z370 gaming 7 OP version. How to fix this issue please?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Nouch,

Thank you for your interest in the Intel® Optane Memory Series.

I understand that you are experiencing a boot drive update issue after setting up an Optane memory + secondary storage HDD configuration.

Please answer the following questions:
  • Are you able to update the SSD driver when connected to another system?
  • Are you experiencing any performance issue due to the fact the SSD is using Microsoft's driver?
  • Is the boot drive properly recognized by the BIOS?
  • Is your motherboard enabled with the Intel® RST Pre-OS UEFI Driver version 16.0.2.3402 or later (Consult your motherboard vendor for the proper system BIOS version for this support https://www.gigabyte.com/Support https://www.gigabyte.com/Support)?

Additionally, in order to provide the adequate assistance, please share the report generated by the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-) and attach it to this thread.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
AMaiz
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your quick support. Below are the answer for your questions:

1- Are you able to update the SSD driver when connected to another system? Yes. In fact, I was running my system with the SSD driver alone without issue before deciding on activating intel optane.

2- Are you experiencing any performance issue due to the fact the SSD is using Microsoft's driver? Yes. In fact, the random read and write speeds are heavily reduced.

3- Is the boot drive properly recognized by the BIOS? Recognized under NVME when RST is not enabled. It disappeas from that menu when RST enabled.

4- My motherboard is the latest, released during COMPUTEX this month and comes with only one BIOS. It is Gigabyte Aorus Z370 gaming 7 Optane.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home(10.0.17134 Build 17134)

Physical Memory (Installed): 16 GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz

System Type: x64-based PC

Total Installed Updates: 16 Updates - See Detailed View for more information

Display Adapter(s): Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 24.20.100.6136

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: Z370 AORUS Gaming 7-OP

Network Adapter(s): Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V 12.17.8.9

Killer E2500 Gigabit Ethernet Controller 9.0.0.46

Disk(s): Intel Optane+596GBHDD 547.26 GB (available) 10.0.17134.1

Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB 423.86 GB (available) 10.0.17134.1

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nouch,

Thank you for the information provided.

Please attach the requested report (link provided in the previous post) since it includes more information, and it may help us better understand the issue you are experiencing. Make sure to select "Everything" before clicking the "Scan" option.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
AMaiz
Beginner

Attached is the requested report

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nouch,

Thank you for providing the requested file, we'll now proceed to analyze the corresponding information.

Since in the original message you mentioned that you are no longer able to update your driver, could you please disable the Optane memory, update the EVO driver, then make sure you have the latest version of the driver installed (and not the Microsoft driver)? Please attach the corresponding screenshot. Finally re-enable the Optane memory (please share any error message that appears during this process).

In the meantime, please share the HDD information (the one that is concatenated with the Optane memory). Is this drive formatted with a GPT partition?

Additionally, since you mention a performance issue associated with the setup, could you please back that statement up with screenshots of the test you performed?

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
AMaiz
Beginner

Hello,

I have fixed the issue by disabling a feature in the bios called "Aggressive LPM Support". Now SSD is recongized and works as it should.

Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Nouch,

I'm glad to hear that you solved the issue, also thank you for sharing your experience, the community really appreciates it.

In case you have any other question, don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Andres V.
0 Kudos
Snowangel
Novice

I have encountered the same error. I'm using Z370 TOMAHAWK main.

1.JPG2.JPG

0 Kudos