Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1357 Discussions

Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management - Keep It?

BulldogX
Beginner

I'm not the type who gets rid of an application just because I don't understand it or don't think I like it.

Regarding the app in the title: I don't have an interest in RAID and don't see adding Optane to my system any time soon. The app doesn't start with Windows or open services that run in the background. If I remove this app, will I also be removing some other functionality that could benefit my desktop PC? Thanks for your advice.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
B_Y
Employee

Hi @BulldogX,

Thank you for the information. Based on the screenshot, it appears having 2 drivers. You probably have not enable Intel Rapid Storage Technology, which it serves the purpose to supports the configuration and enabling of multiple features including: System acceleration with Intel® Optane™ memory

If that is the case, you may uninstall the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management Application. In case you have change of mind, you may install back from the Microsoft* Store or with the help from system manufacturer.

Ultimately, if the system being used as for home purpose, paused or disable auto update for drivers, system and windows related software would deem wise to avoid unnecessary new "bug" that caught by surprise.

May I know if there is anything we can help with?

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
B_Y
Employee

Hi @BulldogX,

Thank you for posting in Intel Optane Memory Communities.

May I share some information with you before you decide whether or not to remove the Intel® OptaneTM Memory and Storage Management application?

1. What Is the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management Application?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030046/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

2. How to Confirm If Intel® Rapid Storage Technology/Intel® Optane™ Memory Is Being Used in My System

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091187/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

Based on this article, please share with us which Disk drive(s) that installed in your computer from device manager. This is for our rerference.

I hope the following information helps to answer your questions.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @BulldogX 

In addition to information provided by @B_Y , please check it SATA Mode in BIOS is set to AHCI.

Leon

0 Kudos
BulldogX
Beginner

Thanks very much for your replies.

My research into the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application before I posted included the posts to which you linked. With regard to whether Intel RST is managing a RAID array or an Optane memory volume, please see the below screenshot from Device Manager.

Screenshot 1.png

Since Intel® RST does not appear to be currently in use, the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application could possibly be uninstalled.

Nevertheless, my original question arises from my long experience with Microsoft's software, which occasionally includes additional functionality that is not always disclosed in its description, perhaps because it is highly technical in nature. Only until after you uninstall the software and something breaks do you realize that Microsoft did not intend for the software to be uninstalled, even if it appears unneeded to the user.

Thus, out of an abundance of caution I am asking whether removing the app might result in unintended consequences, even when I don't have a RAID or Intel Optane volume. I should add that the SATA mode in BIOS is currently set to 'RAID on.'

Thanks again for your advice.

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @BulldogX,

Thank you for the information. Based on the screenshot, it appears having 2 drivers. You probably have not enable Intel Rapid Storage Technology, which it serves the purpose to supports the configuration and enabling of multiple features including: System acceleration with Intel® Optane™ memory

If that is the case, you may uninstall the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management Application. In case you have change of mind, you may install back from the Microsoft* Store or with the help from system manufacturer.

Ultimately, if the system being used as for home purpose, paused or disable auto update for drivers, system and windows related software would deem wise to avoid unnecessary new "bug" that caught by surprise.

May I know if there is anything we can help with?

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
BulldogX
Beginner

Many thanks for the helpful assistance I have received.

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @BulldogX,

We're delighted that was able to clarify some things for you. Would you kindly let us know if you require any other help on this thread?

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
BulldogX
Beginner

No other help is needed on this thread.

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hi @BulldogX,

Please be informed that we will now close this request. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos