Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management

tchumacera
Beginner

I have referred to this link for instructions: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29647?v=t

I downloaded Intel RST driver and successfully installed Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management. However, checking Services <services.msc>, I noticed Intel RST and Intel Optane in Services are both not currently running.

Is the status in the application enough proof that it is enabled and running? Please refer to photo

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @tchumacera 

You did the partition move correctly. However you need only 5 MB - 10 MB unallocated space in the drive end, rather than 1006 MB. So, you can move the Recovery Partition to the right, and than extend the C: Partition. Otherwise you are using some space, but if the space in not important for you it is OK right now.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @tchumacera 

1. The Status in  Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management confirms that you have successfully installed end enabled the Optane acceleration on your computer (i.e. you are set and Optane is working and the 2 GB SATA drive is accelerated).

2. In addition, please verify (check the Disk Management) that you have 5-15 MB of unallocated space in the end of the drive boeing accelerated.  

Leon

0 Kudos
tchumacera
Beginner

Hi again! @LeonWaksman 

Apparently, after visiting Disk Management, my system shows no "Unallocated space". What does this mean? 

Also, please refer to the snapshot for reference

Thank you

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @tchumacera 

1. To support system acceleration with Intel Optane memory, the drive to be accelerated must contain at least 5 MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of the drive. Intel Optane memory needs this space to store configuration information to successfully pair the drive with the memory module. Please refer to Intel Optane Installation Guide, page 7

2. In the last Windows version (2004), the Recovery Partition is located in the drive end (this is your case), making shrinking the partition using Disk Manager impossible.  You may use for this a third party tools as explained in Intel Guide.

3. An other much easier alternative (what I did), is to delete the Recovery Partition and to extend the main partition, leaving unallocated space at the drive end. In case of system corruption, I can always use my Windows Installation USB (or Windows Recovery USB) to enter into Advanced Menu. (see the attached image from my computer)

Leon

0 Kudos
tchumacera
Beginner

Hi again @LeonWaksman 

Does leaving larger unallocated space better?

In my case, I have 1000mb as my Recovery Partition (see previous photo). If I delete this partition, making my 1000mb as unallocated space, is the concept just the same as having 5mb unallocated space or larger space better? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @tchumacera 

Leaving larger space than 5-10 MB will not do anything better but wasting drive space. After deleting the Recovery Partition open Disk Manager, then right click on partition C:. Next click on Extend Volume and follow wizard to extend C: partition leaving the desired space in the end.

Leon

0 Kudos
tchumacera
Beginner

Hi again @LeonWaksman 

Thank you and I really appreciate your help. 

It has come to my attention that the "Recovery Partition" and "EFI Partition" displayed in Disk Management cannot be modified or changed. Simply, both volumes cannot be deleted (please refer to snapshot 1).

Meanwhile, Windows-SSD (C:) has an option "Shrink Volume" (please refer to snapshot 2). Does shrinking and creating an unallocated partition (5-10mb) from Windows-SSD (C:) will do?

Lastly, as you can observe, my system comes with a 1.8TB HDD + intel optane, and it comes initially with only 1 partition: Windows-SSD (C:).  Does making several partitions (i.e.  1st partition - Windows and Programs, 2nd partition - Personal Files, 3rd partition - Game Files) hinders Intel Optane to function properly? Will all the 3 partitions still be accelerated? Or only the Windows partition? Or none at all? 

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @tchumacera 

1. I never suggested to delete EFI partition. In case that  you will delete EFI partition, your system will become unbootable. So, don't touch EFI partition. I suggested that only the Recovery partition can be removed to release space in the end of the HDD. However you have also Intel suggestion to use thisrd party tools to move the Recovery partition after shrinking the system partition by 5 MB (see para. 2 in my post above). It is up to you which method you choose. 

2. Shrinking only the C: partition is not enough, since you will have free space between the C: and Recovery Partitions. As was explained, you need third party tool to move the Recovery partition.

3. Adding more partitions on the HDD is O.K. and still the HDD will be accelerated, however, still the 5 MB unallocated space should be at the end.

Leon

tchumacera
Beginner

Hi again @LeonWaksman 

I tried reading several articles about everything you advised and I'm getting the full idea now.

Just to confirm, does deleting "Recovery Partition" prohibits you now to use the built-in Factory Reset on Windows10 (Settings>Update&Security>Recovery>Reset this PC)? Thus, using a recovery media tool instead? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @tchumacera 

Yes, I confirm. You will need Windows Installation/Recovery USB when using Settings>Update&Security>Recovery>Reset this PC function. Same when using Settings>Update&Security>Recovery>Advanced Startup function in case you want restore your computer to previously stored Recovery Point, since the Advanced  Menu after deleting Recovery Partition will not contain Recovery Menu. However if you will keep Windows Installation USB, you will be able to recover your computer as usual.

In addition it is a good practice to keep you full backup of you drive and this is trough if you keep the Recovery Partition or delete it.

Leon

0 Kudos
tchumacera
Beginner

Hi @LeonWaksman 

Was I able to do it correctly? Please check the attached snapshot.

Thank you

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @tchumacera 

You did the partition move correctly. However you need only 5 MB - 10 MB unallocated space in the drive end, rather than 1006 MB. So, you can move the Recovery Partition to the right, and than extend the C: Partition. Otherwise you are using some space, but if the space in not important for you it is OK right now.

Leon

0 Kudos
tchumacera
Beginner

Hi @LeonWaksman 

Thank you very much for the help. Have a good day!

0 Kudos