Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane disabling itself

NSche10
Beginner

I submitted a post a month ago about this issue where my 32gb optane module that i use to accelerate a 5tb hdd will randomly unpair and disable itself. The amount of time from when i enable optane until it disables itself varies, sometimes happening within a couple of days, other times taking a couple of weeks.

I tried all of the suggested solutions in the previous thread, but the problem persists.

Steps i've taken:

• ensured that 15mb of unallocated space was available on both my system drive and the drive to be accelerated
  • downloaded and installed iaStorAC.inf (intel rst driver)
  • removed the old optane application and installed the one from the windows store

Looking for some guidance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello NSche10,

Thank you for your reply,

We are glad to hear that you were able to move the unallocated space to the end of the drive and that you checked with you OEM that the SATA ports you are using are not interfering with the Optane memory or any other M.2 device.

I will be sending you a follow-up post on Friday to check how everything is working.

Have a nice day.

Best regards.

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, you want to install the special version of RST for Optane, not the generic RST. Second, you want to do this by running the installer. It is a terribly bad practice, especially with Intel drivers, to install via Device Manager.

...S

0 Kudos
NSche10
Beginner

I have previously uninstalled and reinstalled the optane application and driver using the installer. This did not fix the problem. The only reason I installed the driver using device manager was because of troubleshooting advice received in the previous thread.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, Leon always points people to Device Manager. Don't do it. There's a good reason why folks refer to it using Device Mangler. Make sure you are using the right package.

...S

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Scott,

I'm not "always" pointing people to Device Manager. I did this after I've checked on my NUC, how to update Intel RST Windows Driver (in Device Manager, System Devices section). Please see the instructions in Intel Optane Memory Installation Guide, para. 3.1 page 10. This driver have to be updated before installing the Intel Optane memory and Storage Management.

Hi @NSche10​ ,

Please download and install Intel SSD Toolbox. Check the firmware version on your Optane device and the Optane health.

Leon

0 Kudos
NSche10
Beginner

Drive health is good with 100% life remaining. Firmware K3110310

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I have always liked the term "device mangler".

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, I think that we are at the point where we need to put this into the hands of Intel Customer Support. They need to investigate why this random unpairing occurs.

...S

JosafathB_Intel

Hello NSche10,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information:

• Your system configuration including manufacturer, model and part number of all your system components and a copy of the SSU logs in the system that the Optane is connected.

1-         Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software.

2-        When finished downloading it, open it.

3-        Attach the file obtained to your reply post.

• Please let us know the version of the Optane software that you have installed in your system.

• A screenshot of the “Disk Management” showing all the storage devices. To access the disk manager, you can choose from the following two ways:

# 1: Open it from the Quick Access Menu.

o Right-click the bottom-left corner (or Start button) on the desktop to open Quick Access Menu, and then choose Disk Management.

# 2: Access Disk Management via Run.

o Use Windows+R to open Run, type “diskmgmt.msc” in the empty box and tap OK.

We will be looking forward to your reply including this information.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
NSche10
Beginner

System:

CPU: Intel 8700k

GPU: MSI 2080 Ti Ventus OC

RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000 Mhz

Motherboard: Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7-OP

Storage:

• ADATA SX8200 480GB (System Drive)
  • Toshiba HDWE150 5TB
  • Intel Optane 32GB

Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management

Product Version: 17.8.1007.0

Driver Version: 17.8.1065

2020-04-17 15_05_51-Disk Management.png

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello NSche10,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the information you provide us, we have the following recommendations:

• The unallocated space needs to be at the end of the drive, and not at the beginning. Please, move it or create it on DISK 0.
  • We advise you to check with your motherboard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) regarding the SATA ports that may be affected when using an M.2 drive. This to avoid the drive dropping or other issues, this in cases that the SATA ports you are using are the ones sharing lanes with the M.2.

After processing the changes in the drives and checking with the OEM please, try to activate the Optane acceleration in your PC and let us know the results.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
NSche10
Beginner

Double checked that the populated sata port doesn't conflict with the Optane drive. I went ahead and formatted the drive and then made a new unallocated space at the end of the drive and re-enabled optane. I guess we'll see how it goes. Again, sometimes it takes a week or two before it will disable.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello NSche10,

Thank you for your reply,

We are glad to hear that you were able to move the unallocated space to the end of the drive and that you checked with you OEM that the SATA ports you are using are not interfering with the Optane memory or any other M.2 device.

I will be sending you a follow-up post on Friday to check how everything is working.

Have a nice day.

Best regards.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello NSche10,

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to the Intel® Optane™ Memory Series, and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
NSche10
Beginner

The issue hasn't occurred again. I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks and if it does happen, i'll make another post. Thanks.

0 Kudos