Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel P1600x is not supported by the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management Tool

jpere123
Beginner

The application does not seem to recognize this SSD as a valid Optane Drive, it's likely not recognizing the Device ID.  

Could you please update the application to properly detect the drive.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel

Hello, jpere123.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your inquiry regarding the Optane P1600X, and I will be reviewing this with you.

Just to confirm, when you say that it is not supported, are you trying to use the Optane P1600X to accelerate another disk?

The Intel Optane SSD and Optane Memory series are different product lines, with the Intel Optane SSD P1600X being designed to be used as a standalone drive, just like any other M.2 NVMe SSD, meaning that it is not intended to be used to accelerate other disks using the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management.

Here you can find the available Optane Memory devices and a description of their capabilities:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058286/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

It is also important to keep in mind that our Optane Memory line is being discontinued, and not being supported in the newest platforms, you can find more information here:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057951/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

If you have any questions, please let me know, and I will follow up on January 19th in case additional time is required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, jpere123.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I received your inquiry regarding the Optane P1600X, and I will be reviewing this with you.

Just to confirm, when you say that it is not supported, are you trying to use the Optane P1600X to accelerate another disk?

The Intel Optane SSD and Optane Memory series are different product lines, with the Intel Optane SSD P1600X being designed to be used as a standalone drive, just like any other M.2 NVMe SSD, meaning that it is not intended to be used to accelerate other disks using the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management.

Here you can find the available Optane Memory devices and a description of their capabilities:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058286/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

It is also important to keep in mind that our Optane Memory line is being discontinued, and not being supported in the newest platforms, you can find more information here:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057951/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

If you have any questions, please let me know, and I will follow up on January 19th in case additional time is required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
jpere123
Beginner

Optane SSDs are supposed to be supported as accelerators, they are the same physical drives.  

For example my Optane 900Ps can be used for acceleration.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, jpere123.

Good day,

I understand that Optane Memory and Storage Management (or Intel RST) may provide the option to do that with other drives in some instances, but it does not change the fact that Optane SSDs are not intended to be used that way, so that configuration is still not validated/supported.

The article below also mentions that the 900P, and other Optane SSDs, are not intended to be used that way, only the "Optane Memory" branded products:

- Supported Drives for Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory.

If you recently purchased the P1600X with the intention to use it to accelerate another disk using the Optane Management software, my recommendation is to go back to the store or place of purchase to review their return policy.

The thread will be closed on January 23rd if there is no confirmation about further assistance being required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos