Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel optane 500gb ssd wont shop up while installing kali linux nor windows.

EtiX
Beginner

Hello, i have recently bought a new laptop with a 500 gb intel optane ssd (containing 32 gb intel optane memory) and for some reason when i boot over a bootable usb stick containing the right kali iso file and go through the installation process to where i would have to select a location for the OS to be installed theres only my usb stick visible... i have installed both windows and kali on various other devices before and never have i not seen a drive not show up.... does anyone havea sollution? heres a video of the file selection screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psh9hZ7Mtd0

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, first of all, AFAIK, you cannot use an Optane device with Linux. Only Windows 10 is supported. If you want to use Linux, you will need to use a USB flash drive or a secondary SATA HDD/SSD.

Your second problem is that you are likely booting your Windows installation media in Legacy mode. You *must* be in UEFI mode when using NVMe devices.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello EtiX,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can provide us with the following information:

• The SSU logs.

1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ (for Windows*) and to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/ (for Linux) download the software.
2- When you finish downloading it, open it.
3- Attach the file generated by the tool in your reply.

• If you are not able to use this tool, we would like to know your PC model manufacturer and configuration.

• We advise you to contact the PC original manufacturer (OEM) to get further assistance regarding the compatibility of your system with this Linux* version.

•Please take into consideration that if you have your Optane accelerating the storage area of the SSD, it may be the cause for your Linux to do not detect it, and you may need to deactivate the acceleration and to try again.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.
Intel® Customer Support Technician
A Contingent Worker at Intel®

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So, first of all, AFAIK, you cannot use an Optane device with Linux. Only Windows 10 is supported. If you want to use Linux, you will need to use a USB flash drive or a secondary SATA HDD/SSD.

Your second problem is that you are likely booting your Windows installation media in Legacy mode. You *must* be in UEFI mode when using NVMe devices.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello EtiX,

We were reviewing your community thread related to your Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage, and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post and if you needed further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards.

Josh B.
Intel® Customer Support Technician
A Contingent Worker at Intel®

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @EtiX.

I wanted to follow up on your community thread in case further assistance is required.

We previously requested some additional system details and recommended to contact the OEM, along with some information regarding a possible conflict between the OS distribution you are trying to use and the Optane accelerated SSD.

The thread will be close right now since there has been no confirmation, please open a new one since it will no longer be monitored, or contact us via one of the other support methods if further assistance is required (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html).

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos