Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel optane memory No valid disk pairs in your system

kirby55
Novice

I've read and tried what was posted on this site.  I have CMS off, redirection on, Sata mode to RST Premium, 5-15 mb unallocated.  Windows10 detects the optane memory as SSD and I tried a diskpart clean all.  I've reinstalled windows 10.  MSI told me to RMA my laptop, but didn't gave me a reason.  I thought I should get some input on what to do next.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @kirby55.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I was reviewing your ticket regarding the Intel Optane™ Memory setup, I will be glad to assist you.

According to the screenshots, you are working with the following drives:

- 1x Intel® Optane™ SSD 800P Series

- 1x Unknown PCIe NVMe SSD 932GB

There is a difference between Optane™ SSD and Optane™ Memory, both make use of the 3DXPoint™ technology, with Optane™ Memory drives being designed specifically to accelerate other storage devices, while the Optane™ SSDs are designed for storage.

That is the reason why the software is not able to find suitable drives to "pair" or enable the acceleration, the SSD 800P series is designed for storage as it is not labeled as "Memory".

Please also keep in mind that even if you had an Intel Optane™ Memory, they are designed to accelerate only SATA drives (HDD or SSD) along some limited Intel NVMe drives (like the 660p or 665p), meaning that it may not even be of use to you in this scenario.

All this being said, I do not think there is a reason for you to RMA the laptop if this is why they asked you to do so.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

kirby55
Novice

Thanks Bruce for the information.  I plug in  a Samsung 860 sata 3 m2 SSD and the optane pair with it without any problems.  Do I need install windows 10 on that drive?  I notice it says my system memory increased by 110GB.  It it working? 

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @kirby55.

Yes, it looks like it is working fine, seems like you were able to use the Optane™ SSD 800p to accelerate the SATA drive.

Keep in mind this configuration is not supported/validated by us since the 800p is not designed for acceleration and the behavior is unpredictable (it may cause errors, SSD failure or other), also voiding the warranty of the 800p for using it outside of specification.

Regarding your question about the operating system, your computer already has an NVMe drive with the operating system, correct?, what exactly are you trying to accomplish with your system in terms of the primary drive and secondary drive(s)?

Please provide me with the full system report using the Intel SSU (attach the file generated to this ticket):

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

- Guide: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/software/software-applications.html

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @kirby55.

This message is to follow up on your ticket to check if further assistance is required.

I requested more information and details in my previous post in order to get a better understanding of your setup and hardware before offering any information or suggestions.

If you have any questions or you would like to close the thread, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

A contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
kirby55
Novice

I haven't run into any problems.  My main drive is Samsung 970 evo plus.   I might switch to M10 later on.

Please close thread.  

BrusC_Intel

Hello, @kirby55.

I'm really glad to hear that you have not encountered errors with your setup and everything is working fine.

The community thread will be closed right now, if further assistance is required or you have other questions, please open a new thread or contact us via any of the other support methods (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html).

If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos