Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel optane memory driver lagging and freezing my whole pc

aS0001
Beginner

Hello, I have this issue where sometimes my computer is so slow(freezes too) where i can't even use it but it's not for a long period of time. After It's done with whatever it is the disk in the task manager stays at 50% (which slows my pc down a bit) until i restart my pc.

I believe that it has something to do with the optane memory driver and i will show why i believe that in the attached file. It could also be my hard drive but i don't know.

By the way, I haven't tried to figure out solutions because i don't know much about software so I thought i would ask here.

My specs:

CPU: I 5 7600k

RAM: 16 GB

GPU: RTX 2060

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3.5'', 4TB + Optane Driver and i also have another disk as a secondary one.

System type: Windows 10, 64 bits

If I'm forgetting about something let me know.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then, an Intel support engineer can assist you.

Curious that you would immediately point to optane, which is used to accelerate your system. You did not provide the Windows 10 version, what startups you have, what anti-virus you have, whaty size optane you have, what applications you are using, etc. There are many issues that can cause what you described, and they all point to managing your Windows. Now, before you do anything, CREATE a BACKUP.

We can eliminate Optane after the backup, by disabling it. Then see how your system performs.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then, an Intel support engineer can assist you.

Curious that you would immediately point to optane, which is used to accelerate your system. You did not provide the Windows 10 version, what startups you have, what anti-virus you have, whaty size optane you have, what applications you are using, etc. There are many issues that can cause what you described, and they all point to managing your Windows. Now, before you do anything, CREATE a BACKUP.

We can eliminate Optane after the backup, by disabling it. Then see how your system performs.

Doc

0 Kudos
aS0001
Beginner

Edition:Windows 10 Pro. Version: 1903

I don't use any antivirus, I just use Windows Defender.

I'll attach SSU utility file you asked me to.

My optane's size is 32 GB

Apps i run on startup:

• Discord
  • Realtek HD Audio Manager
  • Steam Client Bootstrapper
  • Windows Security notification icon

Thank you.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @aS0001​ 

1. It seems to me that the Steam Client installed on you PC is causing your problem
  2. Read here how to fix the Steam high CPU problem

Leon

0 Kudos
aS0001
Beginner

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P000006gfwOSAQ

Sorry but, where are you getting this from? I don't have high CPU usage from steam(at least the task manager doesn't show that).

Not trying to be rude or anything i just want to know.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Please search for "Steam Client Service" in the SSU report you have sent. You will see in the log, that this service failed to start and there 30 seconds timeout while waiting for the Steam Client Service service to connect. I'm not sure that this the problem, however, obviously it is an error which may clogging your DCOM server.

Leon

aS0001
Beginner

So... Today i turned on my PC (just now) and i quickly tried to open my task manager to see what was lagging and freezing my whole windows, and took a screenshot of it ( attached file). And this time it took longer to sign in my pc user and i had to press del to force the sign in, very weird.

I don't know if that was the reason why it was lagging so much but it could be (not sure what is the "System" process though) and also i saw the process "Antimalware Service Executable" using a considerable amount of CPU and Disk Usage but again i don't know if that's normal or not.

On the other hand, this issue i had just now was much shorter and different compared to the one when i first posted in this thread.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
aS0001
Beginner

Ok, i think this might be it... I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to see if this makes my computer freeze and lag. I'll write here tomorrow if it was that (this is about the first post on this thread)

Check attached file.

Only IF my computer lags tomorrow around that time, it means that probably that's the issue i was having but to double check (after it happened) I'm gonna see when is the next "Optimization Schedule" and disable it, then wait for the disabled scheduled optimization to pass and see if it lags.

Hope everyone understood what i'm going to do. See you in a few days i suppose.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Take your PC to a repair shop for maintenance and cleanup.

Doc

0 Kudos
aS0001
Beginner

I don't need to go to a repair shop for maintaining and cleaning my PC. Thank you though.

0 Kudos