Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel optane memory of 32GB doesn't recognize as an optane memory but as a 27GB SSD

CPanP
Beginner

I have an Intel Optane Memory Module of 32GB

My motherboard is an Asus Z270 Formula

I have downloaded the latest bios

SATA mode is an Intel® Optane™ memory Enabled selection, not AHCI.

Intel RST is enabled.

Remapping is enabled for the PCIe-M.2 port that contains the module.

UEFI is selected as the Boot option for storage devices.

CSM is disabled.

On device manager, I see it recognized as INTEL MEMPEK1W032GA

On disk management, it is recognized as a 27.13GB memory, I tried initializing it into an NTFS memory, but either way, it's recognized as a tiny SSD.

Tried SetupOptaneMemory but it doesn't recognize me having an Optane memory module.

Tried SetupRST, and in Intel Rapid Share Storage Technology app, I see it as a PCIe SSD of 27GB, Intel Optane Memory status still can't be enabled.

So I have two questions:

1. How do I make my computer recognize the intel Optane memory as an Optane memory instead of a tiny SSD?

2. Why is it showing 27GB when my module is 32GB? I thought this is functionally more like a RAM than an SSD, so where did the memory go? @@

0 Kudos
13 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Read https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Specifically:

The capacity shown in the Windows operating system* for the Intel Optane memory series module is less than the 16GB or 32GB noted on the box, why is this? The operating system and related tools report a smaller capacity than you see on the box. The module uses a small portion of memory media management and maintenance. The listed density of 16GB and 32GB is the raw density of the 3D XPoint™ Memory Media. The total user capacity remains constant throughout the life of the drive.

Also, read: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023994/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Overview and Requirements for Intel® Optane™ Memory

Doc

0 Kudos
CPanP
Beginner

ok.... now my other issue.... how do I make the system show it as a special usable optane memory when it only reads as a 27GB SSD?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sourcer,

We understand you can't enable the Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology but the app does not recognize the module and also through the Intel® RST.

We have seen similar cases like this one and we would like you to please follow the http://dlcdnmkt.asus.com/microsite/Optane-Memory-SOP.pdf Asus* installation guide.

Please let us know if this works for you as well.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
CPanP
Beginner

since my OS was installed in RAID mode, I had to do it by the second part method.

I followed every step exactly, and device manager is detecting my optane memory, I'm still stucck at page 12 where the enable button is greyed out, despite following everything after that.... the issue is, it's been like this from the beginning....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi sourcer,

Thanks for the reply. We would like to check if you have the memory module connected in the correct M.2 slot.

As you can see from the manufacturer's website: Only M.2_1 socket can support Intel® Optane™ Memory. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-H270-PLUS-CSM/specifications/ Here is the link in case you want to check it. (You need to scroll down to the Note section).

Please confirm if this is the one you are using, as it will be the only one that works with our technology.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
CPanP
Beginner

I have a M.2 SSD in that place as my OS drive... does that mean I simply can't use my optane memory?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sourcer,

If you already have an SSD in that specific slot, could you please swap the drive with the module? It should boot up as well.

Is this other drive your boot drive? Or are you trying to accelerate a different drive?

If you need to accelerate a different drive (Not the one in the M.2 slot) then we suggest moving the Intel® Optane™ Memory Module to the slot supported and then remove all other drives to verify you can enable the Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
CPanP
Beginner

the other module is my boot drive, it's ok, I'll use this optane memory on my new higher end build

thank you everyone for the help

0 Kudos
CPanP
Beginner

the other module is my boot drive, it's ok, I'll use this optane memory on my new higher end build

thank you everyone for the help

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sourcer,

Thanks for replying back.

In this case, if you want to test the module in a different build, please let us know if it works fine.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
JHagl1
Beginner

"I'll use this optane memory on my new higher end build"

Be adviced the supported usage scenario is to use it as cache/accelerator for the boot drive, not whatever other HDD. I assume your higher end build also is intended to use NVMe boot drive and as such at-least as Optane is supported and intended to be used the Optane drive will be pretty uninteresting for you. Sadly. I wish they just made it easily possible to use it with any HDD.
0 Kudos
mhell5
Beginner

Read very one post today and trying to get my build, to work.

Intel - Core i7-8700K

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7(300 Series) Intel Z370

WD Black M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

I just saw with in the manually the an Optane memory cannot be used to accelerate an M.2 PCIe SSD. you can select only to accelerate your

SATA-based boot drive

will this change intel staff?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi lvnvmatt,

We would like to inform you that Optane™ does not work with NVMe* drives since they are really fast already, so the benefit will be none. With a SATA Based boot drive, you will notice a huge acceleration benefit because they are really slow compared to an NVMe* drive.

For more information please check the following article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory -intel.com

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos