Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Is my system compatible with Intel Optane?

HTeng1
Beginner

Dear All,

I'm interested in getting Intel Optane memory to accelerate my secondary drive (a 4TB mechanical drive). I would like to know if my current setup can be supported.

CPU: i7 8700K

MB: MSI Z370M (BIOS: 7B44v13)

BOOT DRIVE: Samsung 960 EVO m.2 250GB

SECONDARY DRIVE: WD Black 4TB 7200 RPM SATA

I have read through the requirements to setup Intel Optane for secondary drive acceleration, I'm concerned that MSI's BIOS is not up to date as per this thread below:

Should I wait for the latest BIOS update with the proper Pre-BIOS UEFI Driver before jumping into this?

Thank You,

HX Teng

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi HX Teng,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.

After checking the information you provided about your system, it looks like it supports the Intel® Optane™ Memory to accelerate the secondary drive, however it's also important to have the BIOS updated.

The main requirements are basically the following:
  • 8th Generation Intel® Core Processor: The one that you have is fine as it's an 8th Gen Core Processor.
  • Intel® RST Pre-OS UEFI Driver version 16.0.2.3402 or later: You have to check this information with your motherboard vendor because the module won't work to accelerate a secondary drive if the driver is not updated.

Considering this information, I recommend you to wait for the latest BIOS update because without it, you won't be able to setup the Intel® Optane™ Memory in the way that you want.

I hope this information clarifies your concern. If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

The sites below have additional information about the Intel® Optane™ Memory and the requirements to accelerate a secondary drive, I recommend you to check them as well for future references:

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi HX Teng,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® community.

After checking the information you provided about your system, it looks like it supports the Intel® Optane™ Memory to accelerate the secondary drive, however it's also important to have the BIOS updated.

The main requirements are basically the following:
  • 8th Generation Intel® Core Processor: The one that you have is fine as it's an 8th Gen Core Processor.
  • Intel® RST Pre-OS UEFI Driver version 16.0.2.3402 or later: You have to check this information with your motherboard vendor because the module won't work to accelerate a secondary drive if the driver is not updated.

Considering this information, I recommend you to wait for the latest BIOS update because without it, you won't be able to setup the Intel® Optane™ Memory in the way that you want.

I hope this information clarifies your concern. If there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.

The sites below have additional information about the Intel® Optane™ Memory and the requirements to accelerate a secondary drive, I recommend you to check them as well for future references:

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
HTeng1
Beginner

Thanks for the information, I shall consider.

0 Kudos